VOGONS

First post, by trebor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game is freely available and downloadable from:
http://www.cinemaware.com

OR... you can visit Home of the Underdogs to obtain a copy of the game.

This is the issue...The game works fine with version 0.57 of DOSBOX - EGA/Tandy colors with PC speaker sound only, nonetheless, the entire game is playable.

In version 0.60 of DOSBOX, all graphics were missing except the flashing of the title at the beggining of game and once more, only PC speaker sound support.

In the most recent version, DOSBOX 0.61, Tandy/EGA colors are present, Tandy music is present; However, after the intro, when a 'window' states to insert reel 2, pressing a key (any key), the game 'crashes' and DOSBOX exits.

Again, under version 0.57 the game ran fine (including just pressing a key when prompted for reel 2) - All that was missing is Tandy Sound.

Any ideas/suggestions/comments. I tried editing the Config file and playing with different values - but the results are always the same for version 0.61.

BTW, don't confuse this with the CGA only version...There were two releases of this game for the PC. The EGA/Tandy compatible version has two files only: DEFENDER.EXE and a GAME.DAT file.

Thanks for any help and support,
Trebor

Reply 1 of 6, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting problem. I can actually play the entire game with PC sound through Windows but when I exit the game the entire system locks up and I have to reboot my computer. Through DOSBOX I am experiencing the same problems. I hope someone can help us. I had this game ages ago but the 5 1/4" disks I had went bad and I could never get another copy until recently. It would nice to replay it after all these years.

Reply 2 of 6, by Fizzban

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some debugging revealed:

Starting at 8000:9573, the game is copying data byte for byte to 8000:0000 (probably some unpacking). It keeps the target position of the next byte to write as FAR pointer at 8000:0126.

Unfortunally, that pointer is eventually overwritten and then points to the middle of the interrupt vector. So the remaining copying is completly messing up most of the vectors. As soon as the game try to call the next interrupt (int 0x81 to be precise), it ends in a non-code area and crashes.

No idea so far why this is happening though..

Reply 3 of 6, by trebor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A little more information...The 'information' window that remains in the backgroung provides the following with different CPU cores:

Using "dynamic" CPU Core, a message appears stating:
Exit to error: Illegal Option

Using "normal" CPU Core, a message appears stating:
Exit to error: CPU:GRP5: Illegal Opcode 7

Using "full" CPU Core, no messages appears, the game just freezes up.

Again, all of the above occurs when the "Insert Reel 2 - Press any key to continue message appears", and then you procede to press any key.

Thanks for the replies - I would really *love* to play this game with Tandy sound and EGA/Tandy 16-color graphics - It is one of my favorite games of all time - And my favorite "port" of the game as well (gameplay wise).

The enhanced Tandy sound really gives the game the audio it deserved on the PC when it first came out - The PC speaker sound is really lousy especially when compared to its C64 and Amiga counterparts.

Thank you again for looking into this. I really appreciate it.

I'm sorry, one last thing...Again, concerning DOSBOX 0.57 the game runs fine, and never crashes. However, there is only PC speaker sound support and there is an "annoying" background high pitch sound once you're in the game playing. Nonetheless, perhaps it may be useful to compare how it handles/runs under version 0.57 as to why it crashes with version 0.61.

Reply 4 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Same happens to me. What a bummer. If i run it natively (under WinXP) it runs (with speaker, ouch! - Tandy sound rocks) but colours are totally messed up (as with every EGA/VGA 16c mode game a try) thanks to my *great* GF4 Ti4200. What a crap card. I will never buy a nVIDIA card again.

Reply 5 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a rather petty thing to say, eL_PuSHeR. Doesn't work properly with an operating system that doesn't allow direct hardware access with programs that used direct hardware access a lot so they must suck?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am just complaining about my GF4 Ti4200 lack of backwards compatibility, because it cost me 200€ not so long ago.... 😁

My older ATi Radeon 9100 was much more "backwards compatible".

I remember when i had a TNT2. It was a fairly decent card. Newest nVIDIA cards have sacrified compatibility for speed/features. Not the best ones for old-timer like most of us here.

Sorry for the rant, i am moving out of the topic here....