VOGONS

First post, by toingas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In dragonsphere i use INSTALL.EXE to setup the soundcard but when I play the game it comes with no sound at all and when I try to do "New Game" or "Intro" the screen just blanks out!

In Ark of Time, when I try to play the game it just returns to command prompt with a "Vesa not supported" error! Strange... all other vesa games I gave seem to work with Dosbox 6.1

Can anyone gimme some leads ?

P.S: Before anyone tells me to RTFM: Yes, I have read the README

Reply 2 of 14, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In regard to Ark of Time, some people claim that there is something called "Vbeplus" which will work. A bat file is made and this program is run immediately before AOT. However, the link I was given is now dead.

Does anyone know where this program is? It appears that a program is needed to fool the game into thinking you have the exact VESA driver it is looking for (all drivers should be VESA compatible now days).

Please help us.

Reply 3 of 14, by toingas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How about: "Search is your friend" then?

Bypassing Dragonsphere Installation

Well, I did search! That thread is not about the same problem!
My problem is not with the installer! The installer works just fine... it detects the possible sound cards and all. But when I run Dragonsphere, the game comes with no sound and crashes when I press new game or intro or whatever... it doenst go through the main menu! Im really confused since every other game I played works just fine with everything

Reply 6 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey Hazekel. Private messaging is disabled. VBEPLUS is just 10KB+ so i will send you here (i hope no moderator get upset). 😁

Attachments

• Filename
    VBEPLUS.ZIP
    File size
    10.98 KiB
    Downloads
    305 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 14, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With ATI Radeon card this game ran fine in XP without VBEPLUS, but I could not get it running in XP (and also in pure DOS) with NVIDIA GeForce + VBEPLUS. Please, let us know your results, Hazekel.

Reply 9 of 14, by Pashitos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dragonsphere is working perfect with VDMSound 1.1.0. Why trying to use DOSBox, if another programme could do the job well?

Reply 11 of 14, by Pashitos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh God, you are right. It`s just I always had both, Linux and Windows installed on my computer. I think it`s a little bit strange for a gamer to use only Linux... Anyway, that`s only my opinion.

Reply 13 of 14, by Loki-Jormunr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pashitos wrote:

Dragonsphere is working perfect with VDMSound 1.1.0. Why trying to use DOSBox, if another programme could do the job well?

Dragonsphere speech as well ?

how can i have 2 version of VDM and choose which to use from time to time ?

edit : im trying since hours to run vdms with ems and load the game(DS) as it asks for ems.... i can't figure it out... if i make a pif saying that i need ems , i can't load the pif in the prompt after loading vdms, can i ? and if i start DS from windows thru a EMSED pif, how can i load vdms first ?

*shrugs*

Last edited by Loki-Jormunr on 2004-03-11, 17:44. Edited 1 time in total.

**For æser Odin,for alvar Dåin,
Dvalin for dvergar.Allsvinn dei
for jotnar skar,eg riste sjølv sume**

thp01.gif secret_of_monkey_island_2_2.jpg
Lokasenna

Reply 14 of 14, by Loki-Jormunr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

anyway DS runs (always did) in pure dos, thru little partition. tho i hear speech only during conversations, not for Description of the environment, nor in the intro sequence.
is it normal ?

**For æser Odin,for alvar Dåin,
Dvalin for dvergar.Allsvinn dei
for jotnar skar,eg riste sjølv sume**

thp01.gif secret_of_monkey_island_2_2.jpg
Lokasenna