First post, by Susan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Motherboard: Dell OWG261 - Processor: 3.00 GH Intel Pentium 4
Ram: 4 GH DIMM - Video: AMD Radeon HD 5500 Series
Sound Board: Integrated 7.1 channel - OS: Windows Media Edition 2005
Games: Duke Nukem 3D

I have played Duke Nukem 3D off and on for years on my Windows XP system. I recently tried to open the game and although it tried, it wouldn't open. So I tried to open it in DOSbox 0.74 with the following results:

Using: 'DUKE3D.GRP'.
KB_Startup: Keyboard Started
Compiling: 'GAME.CON' .
Including: 'DEFS.CON'.
Including: 'USER.CON'
Found 0 warning(s), 0 error(s).
Code Size: 48516 bytes(1425 labels).
Using Setup file: 'DUKE3D.CFG'
CONTROL_Startup: Mouse Present
Loading art header.
Checking music inits.
Checking sound inits.
Playback failed, possibly due to an invalid or conflicting IRQ.

Is there a way to fix this? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Run setup or install and make sure the SB IRQ is set to 7 (or let it autodetect, I think Duke does that), or follow the 60 seconds guide and install it fresh.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 14, by Susan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply, Dominus. I reinstalled it, but it still won't work. I have been playing Duke Nukem 1, 2 and Duke 3D on my XP computer for years. I've not needed DOSbox for any of them. Here's the really odd thing: while I was reinstalling it, I was reading the booklet that came with the Duke 3D disk. Under system requirements it says 8 mgs of RAM required. But the desktop running XP only has 4 mgs of RAM. Go figure.
I am not crazy. I have been playing Duke 3D Ver. 1.3 on that computer until this last time I tried to play it.

I don't know how to set the SB IRQ, and if Duke autodetects it, it didn't.

Then I tried to install it on a laptop with Windows 7. Wouldn't install. It says: The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x32 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

Reply 4 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have to use DOSBox or the command prompt?

eduke32 runs DN3D quite well and will perform much better than DOSBox on that POS P4.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 14, by Susan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tempest in a teapot on the XP machine. Although I reinstalled it, I had forgotten to run Setup, which DOSBox pointed out. The sound is screwed up, so I don't use it. But the game does run in DOSBox. I'm just surpised it works, considering the RAM discrepancy I mentioned.

And then there's eduke32 on the Windows 7 machine. After my post I did some researching. I downloaded suggested files, copied required files from the installation disk, and when I run eduke32 the game plays, without the use of DOSBox.

So it seems my problem is resolved. Thanks everyone. I hate the fact that Microsoft has taken DOS away from those of us who enjoyed working with it.

Just one question to Collector: I don't understand what you mean by installing a game in DOSBox. Whenever I play a game that must use DOSBox, I indicate where the game is on my computer and have had no problems. How would you "install" a game in DOSBox?

Reply 6 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

by following the 60 seconds guide 😀
(basically doing what you would be doing with real DOS)
Some games *will* have problems or just won't run if the paths in DOSBox don't reflect the paths that were used when you installed them.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 14, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Susan wrote:

Just one question to Collector: I don't understand what you mean by installing a game in DOSBox. Whenever I play a game that must use DOSBox, I indicate where the game is on my computer and have had no problems. How would you "install" a game in DOSBox?

In short, "as usual", experienced answer = "INSTALL.EXE".

Klimawandel.

Reply 8 of 14, by Susan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure that's what Collector meant. Of course you have to install a game on a computer before you can play it. And DOSBox has a particular set of commands necessary to play an installed DOS based game. I just didn't understand what was being said by: "You need to install it in DOSBox, not just play it in DOSBox." It was a curious statement (to me).

Reply 9 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What collector meant is what I wrote. For some games it is best to install them within dosbox not outside of dosbox.

Reply 10 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Susan wrote:

Under system requirements it says 8 mgs of RAM required. But the desktop running XP only has 4 mgs of RAM. Go figure.

I assure you with absolute confidence that you were not running XP on a computer with "4 mgs of RAM". Most likely the computer had 4 gigabytes of RAM. There is no discrepancy here.

As Dominus suggested, if you are going to use DOSBox for this, you need to follow the 60 Seconds Guide, which describes how to install a DOS-based game from its original media. This is not at all uncommon.

Reply 11 of 14, by Susan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are absolutely right, Jorpho. The game requires 8MB of RAM. I misread my XP machine's RAM as MGs instead of GBs (duh). I'll have to go to the website and read up on the 60 Seconds Guide. Thanks.

Reply 12 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Susan wrote:

I misread my XP machine's RAM as MGs instead of GBs (duh).

For future reference, the proper abbreviation of Megabytes is MB, not MGs.

... And leaving the B lowercase makes it Megabits, which is eight times smaller: Mb 😀

Apologies if you know this already, just nitpicking much like Jorpho 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 13 of 14, by Susan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I knew that, but my fingers forgot. And a hearty 1024 to you Stiletto. Thank you all for your advice, comments and critiques. Now let's just move along to repeatedly smacking someone else over the head with a newspaper, shall we?

Reply 14 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Susan wrote:

I knew that, but my fingers forgot. And a hearty 1024 to you Stiletto. Thank you all for your advice, comments and critiques. Now let's just move along to repeatedly smacking someone else over the head with a newspaper, shall we?

Fair enough, my apologies 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto