VOGONS

First post, by ghostlamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Decided to play this game, I noticed small tearing in this game, almost imperceptibly.
Tried builds with VSYNC(on, force, host) and other things, but nothing helped.
Then recorded using dosbox internal recording (70.09 fps) and that's what - 07f43d399360179.jpg
This game itself?, correct ?, or not?, or i dumb?. 😀

Reply 2 of 7, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Doesn't the game also have vsync troubles on real hardware? If they just don't bother checking the vga vsync status there's not much you can do.

Reply 3 of 7, by ghostlamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

enabled doublebuffer?

Yes.

Found a video of that game recorded without vsync - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej-KMC-T0l8&li … 27D39E1742D2A44 , time 04:07 - 04:13.
It turns out, that i have no problem with vsync with dosbox daum build, I do not have such tearing in this place and in others to...
My quibbles (picture in first post) - it is the game itself.

If a record(from game) directly to 20-30 fps (external recorder), and so on, that's what i showed in the first post, noticeable even when moving a character.
I found a way to get these shoals were practically invisible in the movement, it is necessary to record the game with 70 fps, and then convert video to 30 fps, then everything turns out almost perfectly.

Reply 6 of 7, by ghostlamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dugan,
but the dosbox(daum build) has a awesome xBRZ scaler.

dugan and Asterisk,
it seems most optimal variant, for me...

fulldouble=true
output=direct3d
machine=vesa_nolfb
vmemsize=32
forcerate=59.94 - limits the maximum fps, If this value not specified, then dosbox records(and renders the game) at 70 frames per second, which produces more tearing even with vsync on.
vsyncmode=host
cycles=3500 or 3700, with "cycles=auto" game has slowdowns(from 2100 to 3000 by auto) and slower loading times (my cpu: Intel Core i7-4790K) and sometime produces more tearing.

It does not eliminate tearing completely, but in 70-75% places they disappear and appear sometimes in fast motion(they can be seen when viewed frame by frame, in motion slightly noticeable), when picture changes very fast, when the Wilco moves from one room to another.
It seems the same with SQ 4-5.
Tried Gobliiins for example, no tears present in dosbox daum with vsync.

Reply 7 of 7, by Asterisk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a quick note: the reason I asked about 10 FPS above is that in Sierra SCI games, like SQ1 VGA, I believe the actual game's framerate is limited to 10 FPS. Capturing at a greater rate will result in superfluous frames in your video.