VOGONS

Magic carpet exit on Enter key

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by davydo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all

Just found you guys, love the program. It's given me hope of playing my all time fave, MC1, which I preserved on CD from 1994!

ANyhow, I get the game responding nicely, but at times, I press enter to select the spell menu, and it exits. It's not a crash, it looks like it's exiting gracefully. Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 8, by davydo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm... still no go if I mount the CD, using this: mount d e:\ -t cdrom
Even tried mounting the dir, mount d /media/cdrom -t cdrom -usecd 0 and got nothing... anyone comment on this?

Edit: Mounted a c drive to allow it to save settings
mount c g:\games

Mounted a d drive for the CD:
mount d g:\games\carpet -t cdrom -label CARPET

it still crashes from time to time on spell changes. Anyone running this on .61 without issue? Performance is good, looking forward to digging in to the game again!

Reply 5 of 8, by xdantespardax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Davydo

Sorry could you explain exactly how you got it working again? Do you mean the hidden worlds combo doesn't crash on enter key anymore?

I have the original MC disk, and a separate HW disk, was there a combined disk? I'd love to play this classic game again 😎

thanks

Dante

Reply 6 of 8, by davydo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The enter key crash was their copy protection... it did a CD check on the first enter key for the spells menu. I still can't get it working from my original CD's, but the versions available for download at home of the underdogs worked with a simple mount. to the directory from the zip. Cheers!

Reply 7 of 8, by Zachariah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xdantespardax wrote:
Hi Davydo […]
Show full quote

Hi Davydo

Sorry could you explain exactly how you got it working again? Do you mean the hidden worlds combo doesn't crash on enter key anymore?

I have the original MC disk, and a separate HW disk, was there a combined disk? I'd love to play this classic game again 😎

thanks

Dante

wel, i got magic carpet plus (then hidden world combo) on cd, and it run just fine when i type 'mount d i:\', even the sound works

Trough i do have to put the cpu cycles on 11500 to make the game playeble, at low resolution, and that takes 80% of my 1.9Ghz cpu, while my old comp (733 Mhz, with win89) had to be slowed down to 37% of normal speed to run it at high resolution.

But i dont have problems with the enter protection.