VOGONS

First post, by Levee44

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I just can't get Test Drive III working properly. Obviously it's too fast if I don't limit cycles enough, but the problem is that if I get the CPU speed right, and the game time is perfectly synchronized, it gets all jerky, with low framerate (I didn't measure it but it's really annoying). If I want continous movement, game time is at least twice as fast as real time and that again is hardly playable.

Does anyone have any experience/advice?

Thanks,

Levee44

Reply 1 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Games from that time are meant to run at a lower frame rate. It's just how it was I'm afraid. Wing Commander is another such game. When it's smooth, it runs too fast. It's much easier to play when it's choppy 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 9, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We had crappy computers back then. Test Drive 3 was notorious for being too fast on a faster computer. Think 80286 when TD 3 came out. That's what I played it on. But when I got my 80386... it was way too fast.

Reply 3 of 9, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use cycles 4000 myself. Seems close to how I remember playing it. It really never was a smooth or even fun game to play. It was just novel at the time for being polygonal and open world. You could drive way off road if you wanted to.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 6 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'll probably want to try the Crazy Cars series, Hard Drivin' II/Race Drivin' (smoother) or Lotus

and of course, although it's not arcade, there's the legendary Indianapolis 500 from 1989 😀
fr96G3wBfc-2.png

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 9, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some that I liked:
Test Drive II (somewhat dull)
Wacky Wheels (like Mario Kart SNES)
Outrun (not the best port)
Nascar Racing (1994, little outside your range, but mentioning it anyway, as I put lots of hours into it)
Vette!

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 9 of 9, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tertz wrote:
Levee44 wrote:

Tcan you recommend me a fun arcade racing type of game from around Jan 1989-Jan 1992?

Stunts

Yes, definately Stunts!

Lotus Challenge was kinda fun too, plays like Outrun, RAC Rally Championship, Indycar Racing by Papyrus, Grand Prix by Microprose.
Though thinking about it my last 3 recommendations were simulators in it's day but they feel arcade for me now. 😜