VOGONS

First post, by Kirben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to install Vengeance of Excalibur from 6 floppy disks, but the installer only create a few sub directories (RES16, RES32), and doesn't actually install any files The really strange part is the installer doesn't even prompt for the other disks at all.

I have tried using the the mpsfix.com work around mentioned in another thread, but it didn't make any difference.

I'm trying to install directly from a USB floppy drive, using the following mounts for DOXBox:
mount a a:\ -t floppy
mount c: c:\dos

Reply 1 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just checked and the installer does ask for the last disk, but none of the previous disk. The game is pretty easy to manually install. Just copy the contents of all disks to the installation folder, starting with disk1. Allow it to overwrite any files from previous disks. After all files/folders have been copied, run INSTALL.EXE in the installation folder in DOSBox to setup the hardware to be used. Start the game START.EXE.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 5, by Kirben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So it seems the original installer is faulty for this game?

Unfortunately the game version I got from eBay used game disks clearly copied from the original disks, so I'm not sure if they are even complete.

Reply 3 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mine are original (5.25"), so yeah, there seems to be something incompatible about the installer.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 5, by Kirben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a followup, to confirm the game disks were at fault in my case, they were definitely not the original disks.

I bought another version of the game, which includes three 3.5" disks and two 5.25" disks. The installer (from 3.5" disks) works fine, the files from the first two disks are installed, and the third disk is a bonus for Tandy systems.