VOGONS

First post, by Vince.Bloodworks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks,

first off I searched the internet for quite a while now, but couldn't find anything close to my problem.
Maybe I haven't searched hard enough, so if you read about this problem earlier, I'd really appreciate a link to the related post. 😊

I started to play DOOM/DOOM2 again some days ago. To make things a bit funnier, I started the game with the parameter -fast. Game starts, everything is fine. Because the game is a bit harder than usual, I save more often. ^^
Now the problem: Whenever I load my saved game(in game), on the first monster alert, dosbox freezes!
I have to close dosbox and restart it. Then I start the game again, using
DOOM.EXE -fast -loadgame 0

Everything runs fine, until the moment I have to reload my last savegame.
Has everyone encountered the same problem?

I tried this so far:
-Changed the output method(tested every method)
-Set aspect on/off(usually it's on)

The core is always=auto, the memsize=32, the machine type=svga_s3
I tried dosbox versions 0.73, 0.74, Hal's MB5 and MB6. The result is always the same.
Maybe I test it again later, using other machine types, but I don't think the solution lies there 😜

I hope you can help me with this. Thank you in advance 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by Vince.Bloodworks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys 😀

my first thing to say: thank you!

Well, I did some more tests. I tried different machine types as I said before. Same results.
Then I downloaded the latest version of dosbox daum(source: http://ykhwong.x-y.net/) and tried it as well, playing with every possible setting in the config. Same results.
Then I found out my nvidia drivers were a bit outdated, so I fixed that and started my tests again. Again same results. But now, I got some funny news 🤣 ...

As I tested over and over again, I fought a demon. It had "normal" speed like on nightmare. There was some free space between us, so it needed about 2 seconds to reach me. After I killed it, I loaded my last savegame for the first time and fought it again. This time, as soon as it saw me, it was in front of me trying to attack. Even while I rushed backwards(pressed shift + pulling my mouse backwards like hell), it was still right in front of me, trying to bite. I killed it and loaded once again. Now the funny part: As soon as I saw it, I was dead 🤣 ..
Next time I stood back behind a wall(so it won't see me) and shot... and I was dead. NEXT I shot a nearby wall with the BFG, strafing so the demon was right in my field of view in the right moment.. I killed it this time BUT it killed me exactly the same second 🤣!
So to me, it looks like whenever I run the game with "-fast" monsters and I load my last savespot ingame, the speed of the monsters is increased over and over again. xD

After this funny story, here the (hopefully) important information:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested with The Ultimate DOOM(CD-ROM Version and GOG version)
DOOM 2(1.666 and 1.9 German CD-ROM version and GOG version)
Final DOOM(GOG version)

My current system:
Windows 7 32-bit
NVidia GeForce 450 gts
3 GB Ram

I hope there is a solution out there 😁
And while waiting, I do some more tests. First, I will try the same thing just on skill Nightmare.
And for my second test, I think I'll go with my old MS-DOS PC 😁
After my tests, I post my results here 😊

Reply 4 of 4, by Vince.Bloodworks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey folks,

I'm back again, with some little news. As I said earlier, I wanted to see if my problem also occurs on Nightmare skill.
Well, it doesn't! 🤣 Everything is fine on skill 5..

This time, I recorded a short video(Skill 4, fast monsters). Hope you enjoy it 😁
(I hope the link works. If not, please tell me 😊 )

http://dropcanvas.com/p9r5i