VOGONS

First post, by The_Ultra-Mind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As far as I can tell, the only way to do that is to play w/the cycles, but it doesn't seem to work that way. I'm playing Ultima IV, for instance, and the animations are way too fast at the default 6000. If I bring the cycles down to the several 100s, then everything visual seems to flow close to the correct pace, but then some sounds (and not others) take way too long. I've also tried setting core=simple, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Is there something else I should be tweaking?

I'm running DB 0.74 in Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit on a AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor × 4 and I'm using the proprietary driver for my GeForce GTS 250.

Reply 1 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@The_Ultra-Mind what core are you using?

@Togepi trolling the DOSBox forum? From looking at your other post I would say yes.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Normal core at 3000 cycles seems to be right with my copy from the collection CD.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 10, by The_Ultra-Mind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't forget to look for the hack if you want to complete Ultima II.

It doesn't seem right to me. Check this out. I left notes in the video's description.
I'd compare it to another YouTube video that's authentic, but I don't think there is one, since everyone seems to run it for the PC in DB and all the videos I've seen so far have the same issues.

Reply 6 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am not that familiar with the game to say what it was originally like. I was just not seeing anything obviously wrong. There are retro hardware fans here that may have a better idea of what it was like on a real DOS machine.

Reply 7 of 10, by The_Ultra-Mind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It occurs to me that in 1985, U4 may not have been designed w/pipelined or superscalar CPUs in mind. That said, I see there's a cputype setting for the conf file, but why not for the 286? According to the status, the 286 is emulated.

Reply 8 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

~1000 cycles is a reasonable approximation of the speed of PCs when Ultima IV was released. The game was ported to PC in 1987 from what I have read, and the 386 was established by that time, if not exactly prevalent.

Later generation x86 CPUs handle the instructions of earlier generations quite well for the most part, and specific support for 286 as a cputype setting has not been needed for games. The 8086/8088 has some instructions and behaviors that weren't carried over into later generations, but there are very few games that rely on those. It's best to stick with the default cputype=auto setting unless there is some need for a particular type.

Reply 9 of 10, by The_Ultra-Mind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I've set cpu=auto, cputype=386_slow, and cycles=fixed 500. The animation seems right, but the moon phases definitely change too fast and the spell casting sounds weird, but maybe I'm too influenced by how it sounded on the Apple. Oh well.