VOGONS

First post, by Tireces

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off, I just found this handy DOSbox application whilst in search of a total nostalgia trip, and I've been able to FINALLY PLAY CRUSADER; NO REMORSE AGAIN with it. Major props to any and all behind this handy thing's creation. Anyhoo, I'm having troubles running Crusader: No Regret, and Wing Commander: Privateer, also two games I was heavily hoping to play again. They are both separate errors. No Regret's error is that the game starts up fine, but halts and says I need to set "files=25' in my config.sys. The other, with privateer, pops up as soon as I run the executable, stating that I need to make sure I am not using the "NOEMS" function and instead set EMS to RAM. I've been through the dosbox config, and found no immeidate way to rectify either of these delightful things. Does anyone know how to fix one or both of these? If I actually have to do into my real config.sys file to fix them, someone's gonna have to tell me how thats done, or I'm gonna be dead in the water, because I have no idea how to tinker around in there, I tried that already. Thanks in advance, I'm definitely looking forward to taking a break from dealing with the online 1337 d00dz and getting back into some single player classics.

Reply 1 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well I think you need to edit the configfile that comes with dosbox
for privateer
ems=false

and for crusaders maybe too or maybe xms=false. I don't remember.

The files =25 bug is the first time I heard of it and might be related to your version of crusader. (try to patch it )

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 3, by Tireces

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, privateer works with those settings, but No Regret still has that problem. I don't think it's a version thing, and if it is, I've got NO idea where I can find patches for it. However, I have come upon an instance of this very bug reported for ultima 8, and they recommend, as I feared, going into the config.sys. Unfortunately, I've got no idea how to go about this. Any ideas?