VOGONS

First post, by gumpy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm have trouble with Amazon by Telarium. Apparently, the game is set up to save on floppy disks and doesn't save or restore a game properly from DOSBOX.

There is a patch floating around on the internet so you can save the game to drive C, but then the patch messes up the game so you can't complete it. When you first arrive in the Amazon, you need to log on to your computer with a certain code number (969) - but with the patch installed, the correct code is considered to be incorrect and you can't proceed.

7citiesbanner.gif

Reply 2 of 8, by gumpy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes. (It actually wants to save on Drive B:, but I tried mounting a folder as both drive B: then as A: with no luck)

I also tried mounting a blank floppy .IMG file as drive B: with no luck either. 😕

7citiesbanner.gif

Reply 5 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The game appears to be designed around floppy drives, and using an HDD confuses it. If the "savegame patch" you refer to is the same as the one I looked at, it not only causes the game drive and save drive to seem the same, it also causes the standard and emergency codes to seem the same. What is needed is only the drive comparison to indicate a match, not ALL string comparisons. You will still need the SAVED file from the savegame patch, but don't use that executable, modify the unpatched AMZ.EXE offset 75B4 from 85 to 33.

BTW, you get 3-voice music in this game with the machine=pcjr setting, and cycles=300 or so is probably a good idea so certain effects don't go by too quickly.