VOGONS

First post, by silsor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The listing for this game is here. The game may be downloaded here.

I have tested this game with dosbox 0.61 and the current CVS.

Screen after running the game:
tos1.png

This is just a message printed by the DIGPAK sound drivers. I have it configured not to use any sound at all, but I have tested it with a bunch of drivers, and with sound emulation disabled.

At this point, if I press a key, dosbox does one of the following:

• returns to the DOS prompt, no messages in the debug log, I cannot type at the DOS prompt, dosbox still responds to function key commands
  • returns to the DOS prompt, but dosbox spams an infinite number of "CPU: Illegal Unhandled Interrupt Called 6" in the debug log, OR "CPU: Illegal Unhandled Interrupt Called 5". When this happens I cannot type at the DOS prompt.
  • exits with the message "Exit to error: CPU:GRP5:Illegal Call 7" in the debug log
  • crashes with
    IO:WriteW:Out or range write A4 to port 6030
    Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
  • crashes with
    IO:WriteW:Out or range write 6 to port C61E
    Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

This game is an ancient port to PC of an Amiga game so I expect it to be a little wonky; it never even ran very well under DOS.

Reply 1 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I needed to test one DBFrontend with a game, so I downloaded Tower of Souls, and tried to run it. I can confirm what silsor writes. No matter what type of sound driver is chosen during SETUP, the TOWER game proper always complains about a wrong or missing BLASTER variable.

I even tried disabling the Sound Blaster emulation in DOSBox, and added a "SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4" to the AUTOEXEC section, just as the game suggested, but it still refused to run.

I will try it with VDMSound later...
--
MiniMax

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

That game is strange! I tried to run it in pure DOS (configured for no sound) and it just hang! Had to do a hard reset to get the system back.

Tried to run it with VDMSound, and the same error about a wrong/missing BLASTER variable.

silsor, if you really want to play that game, perhaps finding an Amiga emulator and the original Amiga version might work better?
--
MiniMax

Reply 4 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MiniMax wrote:

silsor, if you really want to play that game, perhaps finding an Amiga emulator and the original Amiga version might work better?

Programs with problems like this are the best to try and debug DOSBox. Have fun, Harekiet and Qbix!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

thanks Stiletto 😉
Maybe it's for you a nice way to increase your dosbox debug skills as well 😉

Last edited by Qbix on 2004-03-08, 09:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:

thanks Stiletto 😉
Maybe it's for you a nice way to increase your dosbox debug skills as well 😉

What - from nothing? 😉

Sorry Peter, I don't have the time!!!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
robertmo wrote:

heh - this game just needs to have autoexec.bat on c:\ with set blaster somewhere (it can be remmed) 😉

Urgh!! That is ugly 😈 Will try it this afternoon, if noone else beats me to it.
--
MiniMax

Reply 11 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

weird though It should look for the bootdrive and look there for autoexec.bat

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

FWIW, I added a SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4 to a dummy AUTOEXEC.BAT in my DOSBox C: driver, and Tower of Souls started allright.

Something is wrong with the opening graphics though... After a short delay it displays a nice looking "PRESENTS..." in large yellow letters on a blue background (see snap 1). I would have expected this screen to be preceeded by a the name of company producing the game?

Next something weird happens to the palette (snap 2 and 3) before the intro runs, and the magic pen starts writing on the scroll, at which time everything looks fine.

I also tried running ToS in pure DOS with a dummy SET BLASTER in my AUTOEXEC.BAT, but it still completely locked up my PC. So DOSBox is a better DOS than MS-DOS 😁

The same happened when I tried it with VDMSound.
--
MiniMax

Attachments

• PRESENTS-2.png
    Filename
    PRESENTS-2.png
    File size
    20.28 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    snap 2
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • PRESENTS-1.png
    Filename
    PRESENTS-1.png
    File size
    20.28 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    snap 1
    File license
  • Tower of Souls.png
    Filename
    Tower of Souls.png
    File size
    17.46 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    snap 3
    File license

Reply 14 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Tried it with ripas CVS build dated March 7, 2004 - same problems with the palette.
--
MiniMax