VOGONS

First post, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ringworld: Revenge of the Patriarch and its sequel both work with the MT-32 (though developed for LAPC-I) except for one (minor) issue: the MT-32 is still processing SysEx well into the intro sequences, causing both games to start in silence and having the music cut in partway through.

Is there perhaps a trick to temporarily pause or delay the loading of the 'game', but continue sending the MIDI data?

Reply 3 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just tried it with my MT-32 without this issue using normal core/10000 cycles. Perhaps something with your MIDI cables?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 15, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

By the way, I have the CD version of Ringworld. Not sure if there are any differences with the diskette version (installs in /CDRING and needs the disc in the drive), but thought I should mention.

edit: just tested it (download, as I only own the CD version): no difference.

Same delay in the install program; when you pick LAPC-I/MT-32 the test music should start playing right away, but in stead cuts in after 1-2 sec.

Last edited by sndwv on 2016-01-02, 21:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 15, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. I just found out what the real issue is: I used to have a later gen. MT-32, I now have a first-gen. These games (presumably) trigger the overflow error. Added ' delaysysex' to DOSBox' midiconfig and it works like a charm now, on a range of cycles settings. The game now patiently waits on a black screen for the MT-32 to initialize before it starts.

edit: thanks all, for thinking along!

Reply 9 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good you got it sorted. Just for the info my MT-32 is the early version and I am using MIDI cables via my Audigy card. I did try Munt and had no issues with it, either.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 11 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No. One other possible difference is that I have the CD files copied to the hard drive in a 'CD' subdirectory mounted as a CD. Don't know if a difference in read speed between hard drive and CD-ROM drives might make a difference. I wouldn't think so, but I can test by mounting my physical CD instead, if anyone is interested.

Edit: just tried with my actual CD and no problem. I suspect that the main problem is your USB cable vs the MIDI cable via my Audigy port.

Reply 12 of 15, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for trying that out.

Should anyone else have (or not have) this same problem, the complete chain that requires delaysysex to work here is:

i7 @3.4Ghz
W7x64
DOSBox SVN r3950
Ringworld (mounted US retail CD)
UM-One (first version w/o tablet switch, 1.01 driver)
SC-50 (MIDI-thru)
MT-32 (old version)

Reply 13 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The main difference that I see is that I was using DOSBox 0.74, not an SVN build. Could you check if you still have the problem with stock DOSBox?

Reply 14 of 15, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a similar system as sndwv with the same UM-One and experience exactly the same issue. midiconfig=delaysysex seems to resolve the issue though.