VOGONS

First post, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have problems getting "Are you afraid of the dark" running? Anyone tested it yet? DosBox v0.61 just crashes when the game should start.

Tested system: AMD 2400+, ASUS Rock Mainboard, 256 MB RAM, Windows 98SE.

The only system it works at the moment is an old 486 DX/2 with an original SoundBlaster 2.0 Soundcard and FreeDos.

DosBox says something of "illegal operation" before it crashes but it is too short to capture it (how can I write the messages in a log file, by the way?)

btw: DosBox does not yet support the "echo," command in batch files, i realized. 😀

Reply 1 of 2, by The Avatar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

U can increase the cpu cycles. Configure the Dosbox well... 😒

You can see if there's anything that can have conflict with your system. I'm saying about using opengl for video and so on... You should use VDMS too. If the game still don't want to run, you can throw your computer away and forget about all your life and go live in the mountains of Himalaia. 😀

Of your friend,
The Avatar

Reply 2 of 2, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of course i tested all kinds of cycles and stuff in dosbox. VDMSound didn't do the trick as well. Win98SE, DOS 5.0, FreeDos, WINXP, Win95, from AMD over Intel to Celereon, and from Soundcards from Creative, over Aztech to TerraTec and on different kind of harddiscs and cd-rom drivers and so on and so on. nothing worked.

The interessting part: The game didn't run on an Pentium I with DOS, but did work on exakt the same system and configuration except the processor (which was 486DX).

I still would be interessted to get a log file of the illegal calls DOSBox registers. anyone an idea, how i can save that?