VOGONS

First post, by NapoleonDynamite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay so I think this is the right spot to post this but I have dosbox on my mac with windows 3.1 installed and I have been trying to load the old zoombini game I have it installed but when I load it it just asks please insert disk and I already have it inserted and by the way this is a burned copy since I cannot find my original anywhere. For my commands before I loaded windows 3.1 I have it set to mount x /volumes, mount c /w31, c:, cd windows, win. I don't know why it will not load the cd drive when I launch the game any ideas? Also am wondering where can I find the config file to save those commands.

Reply 1 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can't just type "mount x /volumes"; you have to mount whatever your CD drive is.

Did you read the 60 Seconds Guide?
60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

Reply 2 of 11, by NapoleonDynamite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did read it and tried it out but still says please insert zoombini cd. Any ideas on how I could fix this? I just don't get why it will not auto load the disc even if the game is installed in windows 3.1

Last edited by NapoleonDynamite on 2016-05-18, 23:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, if you read the guide, you would not be typing "mount x /volumes". 😒 To mount your CD you should be tying "mount x /volumes/somethingsomething".

I can also point you to OSX DosBox Guide . You may also want to consider using the Boxer frontend.

Reply 4 of 11, by NapoleonDynamite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That seems cool but my game I am trying to load is a windows game. Sorry but I am new to using dosbox on mac I know some things since I used it on windows but just having trouble loading my external cd drive. I am a little confused about this. In the 60 second guide it told me to enter this mount d: /volumes/zoombini -t cdrom and I did so it just would't load it I know you said I don't need to use volumes but I am just not sure what to use. What is the correct command do I need to enter?

Reply 5 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NapoleonDynamite wrote:

That seems cool but my game I am trying to load is a windows game.

So what? You're running it in Windows 3.1 in DOSBox. The principles are the same.

NapoleonDynamite wrote:

I know some things since I used it on windows

Have you been able to use this burned copy in DOSBox on Windows?

In the 60 second guide it told me to enter this mount d: /volumes/zoombini -t cdrom

Look again – the command would be "mount d /volumes/zoombini -t cdrom", without the ":". But I don't think it makes a difference.

and I did so it just would't load it

This is unclear. Are you getting an error message when you try to mount the directory?

What do you get when you type

mount d /volumes
d:
dir

Reply 6 of 11, by NapoleonDynamite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay so I entered in these commands.
mount C "/w31"
mount D "/Volumes/Zoombini" -t cdrom -ioctl

booted into windows 3.1 tried to launch zoombini and it said please insert zoombini disc.

I got the game from my abandonware website and burned it to a disc I was able to install it but it wont load.
It did work on my laptop when I had 3.1 installed. I am looking at the guide but I just can't seem to get it working.
When I did that dir it showed the zoombini folder it showed Macint~1 and zoombini.

I don't what I am doing wrong.

Reply 8 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NapoleonDynamite wrote:

I got the game from my abandonware website and burned it to a disc

This is why illegally downloaded copies of games are generally not supported here. There's no way of knowing whether the copy you downloaded has been corrupted in some way, or if you burned the game incorrectly, or any number of other problems.

It did work on my laptop when I had 3.1 installed.

You mean this burned copy worked, or your original copy of the game?

it crashes dosbox. Not sure why.

No kidding. 😒

The only thing I can suggest is to try typing "cputype pentium_slow" before starting Windows.

Reply 9 of 11, by NapoleonDynamite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No the burned copy worked on my laptop. I am able to load either the img file or the burned copy just crashes after game is loaded. It goes past the title screen but in gameplay it slows down and crashes. I tried the slow cpu line and that did nothing. Guess I will have to just try and reinstall windows 3.1 on my laptop since I cant getting working right..

Reply 10 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try getting a legitimate copy of the game. Too many things can be wrong with a pirated copy. Note that a mod might lock this thread because of the pirated software.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 11 of 11, by NapoleonDynamite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I just reinstalled windows 3.1 on my windows 7 laptop and I tried the iso file instead of the cd and it worked perfectly no crashing. So I think I will just stick with using windows for dosbox since it is a lot more easier to manage. Thanks for the help 😀