VOGONS

First post, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I cannot get the sound working with Charly the Clown shareware. Neither v1.20 nor v1.30 play any sound or music, either with automatic sound card detection or manual setup.

Upon startup, there's a clicking sound suggesting that the sound card is initialised, but then no sound is played throughout the game. Upon exit, there are some sounds audible that might come from the emulated PC speaker and might be some kind of error sound.

I have tried using loadfix before running the game. Loadfix does not seem to affect performance in any way, but there is still no sound.

Changing the settings to only play sound effects does not do anything. Changing sound card type also seems not to improve the situation.

I have tried running the game with regular v0.74, SVN build from June 6, 2015, and SVN Daum build from November 16, 2013. The result is always the same: the game is playable but there is no sound no matter what.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 1 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Obvious question: does it produce sound in real Dos?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The sound works with JEMM. I can't connect to Japheth's site at the moment, but you can also get JEMM from here.

Set xms=false, ems=false, umb=false in the conf, then run JEMM in DOSBox with the command: JEMMEX FRAME=E000 LOAD