VOGONS

First post, by Nakatomi2010

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone able to help me with a Privateer problem?

I've got it running but my audio is choppy... Basically I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to make it not choppy... I'm using an Audigy card and I've got all the settings right in the game, but for some reason its choppy... The game runs smoothly, the sound does not... Fiarly frustratintg....

Reply 2 of 10, by Nomad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try upping the frameskip.

Although I dont have problems with sound with DOSBOX CVS 20040407. You should probably try this first.

Imagine a world where we can play all DOS games. Wouldn't it be nice?

Reply 3 of 10, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

just to remind about the sound: original sound blaster cards works on irq 5, and dosbox emulates sound through irq 7.

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 5 of 10, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How fast is your CPU? I ask, cause you won't be able to get good sound with a too slow CPU (at good gamespeed that is) - The slowest CPU I read about getting Priv running smoothly without sound probs was an Athlon XP 2000+ - An PIV 1.7Ghz was already too slow to get it running smoothly without choppy sound. If your CPU is fast enough, I've got no idea except those already being mentioned here.

Reply 6 of 10, by voyageur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Or wait for the next release 😉

I am currently playing privateer with dosbox cvs on my athlon 900Mhz, at around 5500-6000 cycles, frameskip 1-3 (depending on how busy my computer is). It could be smoothier I guess, but it's quite playable and there's almost no sound stutter. But it was really slow with version 0.61.

Voyageur

Reply 7 of 10, by Bullitt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, here comes my Problem with Privateer...
I can't accelerate, the Button that should do it (the one left of Backspace, on the german keyboard layer its an ' ) doesn't work in privateer while running in dosbox. I didn't find another key that has this function, so please help, flying in space with half speed only is kind of annoying... 😉

Athlon XP 2800
Mandrake Linux 9.2

Reply 8 of 10, by voyageur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, that happens on some games, where you have to use the 'real' + key on your keyboard, and not the key to the left of the backspace (where the + is on a US keyboard). My tactic is to switch the keyboard layout when playing in dosbox: on windows, there's a keyboard layout interface, on linux I use:
setxkbmap en_US before launching dosbox (and setxkbmap fr after 😉 )

And at least, you always have the afterburner 😀

Voyageur

Reply 9 of 10, by Bullitt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks voyageur, setxkbmap helps... 😀
Still, I wonder why the real "+"-key doesn't work with any keyboard layout, even though this key is the same in german layout and english layout...

Reply 10 of 10, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Or wait for the next release

I am currently playing privateer with dosbox cvs on my athlon 900Mhz, at around 5500-6000 cycles, frameskip 1-3 (depending on how busy my computer is). It could be smoothier I guess, but it's quite playable and there's almost no sound stutter. But it was really slow with version 0.61.

Really? Cool! 😎 - Do other games run faster as well? Maybe WC3? 😀 That'll be great! - VDMS doesn't work right for me and my Kilrathi Saga WC3 also crashes, so that would be a nice solution. I already can watch the movies with slight stottering only, and gameplay is playable - as long as I don't shot 😖 So if it fastens WC3 as much as Privateer, it would be at playable speed for me 😁

P.S.: You got me - no idea how to use CVS / lazy to find out. Otherwise I might test it myself... 😉