VOGONS

First post, by Hotte76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

i bought "The Last Express" in a sale at gog.com in the hope it would work on Dosbox.
I read several posts about this game (here and elsewhere) but my problem is not solved.

I installed the game on a windows machine and copied the files over to the dosbox device (RetroPie Linux).
The game runs on the windows machine.
The game has a data folder with the 3 CD Images in it: "CD1.HPF", "CD2.HPF" and "CD3.HPF".

My first try was to mount CD1 for installing the game properly, but when i try to do so (imgmount d c:/foldertogame/data/cd1.hpf -t cdrom)
it doesn´t work (-is option doesn´t work too).
The error says: "Could not load image file. MSCDEX: Failure: invalid file or unable to open".

Then i tried to mount the complete data-folder (was mentioned in a post) but that didn´t work either.

How can this game be installed? How can i burn this *.HPF image-files back to CD, so that i get proper installation CDs?
Or is there any other solution?

Reply 3 of 14, by Hotte76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Renaming the file to "iso" doesn´t solve the problem.

But now i was able to mount the directory at least....
Problem is, the game doesn´t start and delievers no error message....

GOG does just the obvious things:

mount C ".."
MOUNT d "..\data" -t cdrom
cls
c:
express.exe
exit

Reply 4 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hotte76 wrote:

GOG does just the obvious things:

Okay, so why aren't you doing the same thing..?

Evidently the game loads its data directly from these .HPF files, which might not be standard CD images at all.

When you say "mount the complete data-folder", what exactly are you mounting?

Reply 5 of 14, by Hotte76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did the same thing as mentioned in the GOG config....

the game is stored in a folder named "TLE", the subfolder is named "DATA".

I did: mount d "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/TLE/DATA" -t cdrom

The mounting worked. And i used exactly the dosbox config values, used by gog.
But the game doesn´t start....

Reply 8 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hotte76 wrote:

I than make an startup script which changes to c:/tlw and executes the game file express.exe

If that was supposed to work, then the GOG script would include a "cd tlw" command.

Evidently in this case you need to mount /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/TLE (presumably the directory that includes express.exe) as drive C. This is definitely not something that would normally be done, but that appears to be the way the game has been configured.

Reply 9 of 14, by Hotte76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This doesn´t work either.... same problem.
Maybe the problem is that the device is a retropie (=Raspberry Pi) and the game is one of the last dos games (1997!)....
Maybe the graphic power of this little box isn´t capable of playing the game. It has (for that time) a pretty good graphic.

Then i have to play it on a windows machine. Not what i wanted but.... the game was just 1,30 € in the sale at gog 😉

Reply 10 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hotte76 wrote:

Maybe the problem is that the device is a retropie (=Raspberry Pi) and the game is one of the last dos games (1997!)....

That is very unlikely. At worst, it would only work slowly. If it works on Windows, it should work under Linux on your Pi, unless somehow you're using a very different version of DOSBox.

What exactly happens when you try to run the game, anyway? Perhaps you copied the files incorrectly?

Reply 11 of 14, by Hotte76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When i try to run the game, the screen gets black, an mouse pointer (not the normal one) is visible for a very short time, and the game crashes to dos, without any message.
Thats because i thought about a graphics issue like vesa driver or something.

Reply 12 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hotte76 wrote:

Thats because i thought about a graphics issue like vesa driver or something.

No, DOSBox does not work that way. I'm pretty sure this is some kind of mounting issue. I'm wondering what exactly your "startup script" does.

Reply 13 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you are using DOSBox 0.74 then try installing and running with a build of current source. Some (perhaps not all) versions of The Last Express are PC/Mac hybrid cdroms that have an issue that is fixed in SVN.

Reply 14 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The .HPF files are just the game data files that are on the CDs, not disc images. GOG is just dumping the contents of the CDs into a data subdirectory and mount that as the CD.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers