VOGONS

First post, by Chalor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, I'm a new user of Dosbox, using 0.61, and all the settings are kinda daunting.. I've wanted to play Sierra's Gobliiins again for quite a while, but I can't get it to do anything more than stay on a black screen. Just wondering if people knew any ideal settings that I should be using? Because I have no dea as to the range of cycle speeds, memories to try... Thanks a lot.

Chalor, artdump webmaster
.artdump - we're good. honest.

Reply 1 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have not had much success with any of the Goblins games with DOSBox, but all three work perfectly with VDMS, if you use SAPUCDEX.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 14, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had the European release of Gobliiins from Coktel Vision I think and it worked fine for me under Dosbox .61. I don't know what changes were in the Sierra version when it was released in the US. I didn't have any trouble loading Goblins 2 or 3 from Sierra but haven't played them past the initial scene in Dosbox yet. My config is nothing fancy, CPU cycles set to 14000 and no frame skip, everything else was at the default.

Reply 3 of 14, by voyageur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No problem at all with my copy of Gobliins 1 and dosbox 0.61, no extra config (5000 cycles, no frameskip, ems and xms do not matter, ...). Maybe there's a problem with your copy?

(gobliins readme file says version 1.000 9/11/92 DOS)

Voyageur

Reply 4 of 14, by Chalor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's really weird, I'm running the European release as well, its the CD version which has both Gobliiins and Gobliins 2. My version data says 1.02->.
Um, this may have something to do with it... The dosbox console gives me a warning: file creation failed: D:\$$$.$$$ at the beginning of the installer.
Here's hoping I'm being a really stupid newb and this is an easily solved issue.

Reply 7 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well no wonder file creation failes 😀 (a cdrom is read-only)
try copying the files to hardrive or installing the game or so ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 14, by Chalor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heh, well, I tried installing from a folder on my hard drive, and it asked for the CD, so I guess it must be something weird left over from the floppy disk version.
I tried just running it under VDMS a few minutes ago, and I get Unknown Error -100. So perhaps it just is my version that's weird... Anyone know a site where i might be able to d/l a copy with an earlier version..?

Reply 9 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Install it from the CD to your harddrive. It checks for the CD. You will have to mount both your CD (with -t cdrom) and the install folder.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 14, by Chalor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, that's what I've been doing previously. The game appears to install ok, but regardless, something apparently tries to write to the CD in the process. Either way, it still just hits a black screen when trying to actually run the game.

Reply 11 of 14, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try copying the entire cd content to a folder in your hard disk, and then mount this folder as the cd rom... That was how i got Pinball Dreams Deluxe running on DoxBox(the same as your problem was happening)

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 12 of 14, by Chalor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cheers DOS_boy, that's sorted out the file creation error. But the actual running of the game is still not happening... Maybe there's something weird about my whole machine, I should try running a bunch of other games...