VOGONS

First post, by CobraA1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This isn't really a bug, but it seems like the 16 basic colors used in text mode are slightly off. Is there a way to change them?

I noticed it because I was playing around with the DOS version of NetHack on both DosBox and on an old laptop (486 😁). I noticed that dark yellow on DosBox looked wierd, so I fired up the laptop and played some NetHack - sure enough, the colors are different: In DosBox, dark yellow looks like dark yellow, and on the laptop dark yellow looked chocolate brown 😎 . So, I was wondering - is there a way to change the basic 16 colors in DosBox?

BTW, I found an old DOS font editor and created a custom charcter set to make NetHack look nicer in text mode - this a good place to show it off?

Reply 1 of 5, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd suggest plugging your laptop into a monitor. Laptop colors are always off from a CRT display.

Last edited by canadacow on 2004-04-22, 13:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You weren't running NetHack in Win95 on the laptop, were you? I've noticed that the Win9x DOSBox has different color palettes than true DOS. (Remember, Harekiet? One of my first posts testing DOSBox...) Anyhow, those color values should be in the fake video BIOS in DOSBox, one could edit that. I'm not sure how it's faked, though.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 5, by CobraA1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only run NetHack in DosBox on my desktop because XP refuses to switch to my custom DOS font, even in fullscreen. Yes, I'm running Windows 95 on my laptop, but no DosBox.

Just wondering if I can change the colors.

Reply 5 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[EDIT]: Not Win95 DOSBox, Windows 95 DOS box - ie. Windows 95 Command Prompt window. The palette is different in Windows 9x command prompt window for 16-color as opposed to within DOSBox emulator. However, this may be dependent on video card in Windows. I don't remember why this is, though.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto