VOGONS

First post, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I am very thrilled by the fact that Dosbox even runs Aces in the Pacific. That games was tough to run on any more recent PC. However, I thought that after I got this great programm Dosbox, I have some info to share with you as well.
Last summer, I decided to build a Dosbox myself, based on a PC I got back from a collegue. It was a P120, which is now upgraded to P200. I am fully aware that this is much too fast for many a dosgame, but please read on. So far, I got every game to run on it, which I tried. The peripherals are chosen to be as compatible as I can think of. The decicive piece in it is the

Mainboard Biostar MB-8500 TAC
The nice thing about this mainboard is, that you can adjust multiplier and clock frequency over a wide range. The jumper settings for clock allow for an undocumented 25 MHz setting, which really slows you back into the days of the 486. If you ever tried to play Aces of the Pacific on a P1 machine, you may have noticed that the steering (joystick) does not calibrate anymore. (Some other games suffer from this as well) Reduce this mainboard to a 25 MHz setting and all is well. The mainboard usually does not sell for minimal bet on ebay, so you can grab it for a dollar or euro.

In case you are interested, I could report what other cheap 1$ hadware I have installed in this dosbox so that I encounter no problems with any game I have installed.

So far, I will keep my hard dos box, but I admit that I am absolutely thrilled by the functionality of the soft dosbox.