VOGONS

First post, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I know that System Shock has been addressed in 1,254,235 other threads, but none of them address the sound issue in DOSBOX 6.1 on Windows 98SE. In short, I cannot get but clicking sounds and I cannot find a way to manually configure the sound in System Shock. I tried editing the config file with a text editor but it doesn't look the same as other games, and I can't make head or tails out of it. Please help.

P.S. This is the disk version, not the CD version.

Reply 1 of 10, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What about running INSTALL.EXE ? In the "Main menu" choose "Change settings" > "Configure sound" > "Select Sound FX Card"/"Select Music Card".

Another thing: There is no DOSBOX 6.1. There is only DOSBOX 0.61.

Mirek

Reply 3 of 10, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I know your problem quite well. INSTALL.EXE doesn't seem to detect that the program has been INSTALLed on the Hard Drive.

I'm locating a DEMO version of the game that is suppose to have a TXT file that describes the CFG settings so I can give you the correct info to get the DISK version of SS1 to run with sound 😉.

EDIT: Ok. Here is the README txt from the SS1 Demo. This should help a lot 😉.

BTW: Here is what I used.

dclick_time 25 75
digi_card 3
digi_io 544
digi_dma 1
digi_irq 7
midi_card 3
midi_io 544
midi_irq 7
inp6d

NOTE: I/O is represented in DECIMAL form in the SSHOCK 1 CFG. So you have to convert 220 from (H)exadecimal to Decimal which happens to be 544. This is similar for any SB Setting from 220H to 260H. Or you can have it set to default using -1 (220H/544D)

Attachments

• Filename
    SS1READ.TXT
    File size
    4.37 KiB
    Downloads
    171 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 10, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also for those using DOSBox 😉... And have the GUS patches for SSHOCK...
This is how to get GUS working correctly.
First edit the cyb.cfg and check whether it contains a line containing instdir. Append there the directory where you have copied the files to, for instance: instdir c:\gra\shock and save the file. Now you should have no trouble in selecting the sound card, you won't receive the error message 'game not installed' anymore.

In case it does not work, here are the numbers for GUS:

digi_card 11
digi_io 576
digi_dma 3
digi_irq 5
midi_card 11
midi_io 576
midi_irq 5

You need to manually fill in the above I/O, DNA, IRQ places on your own with the info from the GUS settings. Attention: System Shock unfortunately uses decimal notation for the I/O port numbers, so what normally H220 is now 544, H240 is 576, H300 is 768, H330 is 816, H388 is 904 and so on. You can convert the numbers with the help of the Windows calculator (calc.exe) in scientific mode (see View menu).

Remember, before starting the game, run shockgus.bat to initialize the sound.

Note:... 😮.. I never saw that.. -> instdir c:\gra\shock
Point that line above to where you installed SShock in your cyb.cfg and you will then be able to Save the CFG using INSTALL.EXE. 😀. I tested it so I know it works 😉.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 10, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, that trick worked with the install, but now it seems to say that I do not have a sound card no matter WHICH CARD I choose! This is very strange, because I know DOSBOX emulates even the sound cards I don't have, let alone the ones I do have.

Why does it not recognize ANY sound card (I am running the Install through DOSBOX)? Any suggestions, and thanks for the previous info.

Reply 6 of 10, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, well that's strange sounding. Depending on where you got it did you LHA the LZH archives?

Type "lha -x *.lzh" and that will unarchive all the LZH archives in the installation. That might be your other problem 😉

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 7 of 10, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I got the disk version from http://gamebird.dk/games/community2.php/?gid=398 because I wanted to try it first, before attempting a huge CD-rip download at the Underdogs. What is weird is that the install program appeared to test my sound right the first time, but after I changed the install directory so it would save my settings, it no longer recognizes ANY card. I tried reinstalling everything and still no go, which is really weird.

Reply 8 of 10, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you use the LHA.exe program that came with your archive?
If you don't unarchive the *.LZH archvies using LHA, the game won't work properly.

NOTE: I have the same archive as you. Someday I'll reachive this program properly so this problems won't have to come up again. Lol, sometimes the people who get this games just don't check them.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.