VOGONS

Magic Carpet

Topic actions

First post, by shubho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I play Magic Carpet in Dosbox, the game is slow. I have read the readme. Even after fiddling around with the CPU cycles and frameskip the game is slow (although I did get it fast enough that the game responds within a second or two). Does anyone know how many CPU cycles and frameskip I should set DosBox at to get Magic Carpet up to speed?
My computer has Windows ME, Pentium II w/ MMX, 1 Ghz, and 112 MB RAM.
Also, how do I get to the fullscreen? When I press Alt+Enter, DosBox freezes and my monitor screen goes black.

Reply 2 of 8, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A possibility for the blank screen might be the copy protection failing. If I remember correctly, it checked for a vailid CD when you pressed Enter to bring up the map for the first time.

As Predator said, 1GHZ is slow for running it emulated. It ran best on a Pentium with 16 megs but a 486 would run it. One thing to check is that you are in low res mode. I think the E or R key toggled between low and high res if you had 16 megs of memory.

Reply 3 of 8, by shubho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do have a valid cd for Magic Carpet. And when I press enter, the spell screen and map comes up. Yeah, I am playing in low resolution with the skies off.
I guess I'll just have to wait for a faster emulator or faster computer. My old computer ran it fine in Windows 95. Who knows why these days they've made it so that Windows can't play it (Although in XP, it kinda runs, but really fast).

Reply 4 of 8, by NoGood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone got this to work fast yet?

I'm trying to play it on an AthlonXP2000, with 1GB ram. In lowres or highres, bot run at a max of about 2fps or so.
Also, my sound is best at about 6k cycles, fps is best at about 25k cycles (sound screwed).

Oh, and i'm using XP (SP2).

Homepage
Lombrosiana

Reply 5 of 8, by guybrush_II

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i got magic carpet running real well. granted i have a fast computer, but it ran slow on my 3.4 Ghz p4 at first too.

after i started using D-Fend v2 as a front end it sped up all of my games a lot.

there is one setting in D-Fend to make the cpu core Dynamic, and it seems as though that had a big impact on Magic Carpet.

Reply 6 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
guybrush_II wrote:

after i started using D-Fend v2 as a front end it sped up all of my games a lot.

there is one setting in D-Fend to make the cpu core Dynamic, and it seems as though that had a big impact on Magic Carpet.

You do not need D-Fend to use dynamic core... You can set it normally in DOSBOX.CONF.

Mirek

Reply 7 of 8, by guybrush_II

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You do not need D-Fend to use dynamic core... You can set it normally in DOSBOX.CONF.

so what exactly is a dynamic core?

and do you know why it is that my games run so much better using d-fend?

Reply 8 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I've never used D-fend but it's likely that it's default settings simply apply the fastest settings in dosbox.conf. D-Fend is just an interface. It cannot increase or descrease DosBox speed...everything it does it does through DosBox.conf.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline