VOGONS

First post, by OldSkoolCrazy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having trouble with getting Worms to work on my PC. I'm currently running Windows XP, using DOSbox-0.61. This is what I do:

I run DOSbox.

I then enter this:

mount c c:\

mount e e:\ -t cdrom

e:

setup

The setup runs. I install Worms onto my C: drive. I let the setup auto detect my sound settings. I then select Save settings and exit and press Enter.

It then asks me to type 'WORMS' and press Enter. I do this.

It then loads Worms. Everything is working fine, both graphics and sound. I get to the front end. I can access all the menus. I can set up a team and play with the video and audio setting and more. After putting the audio quality to ten and put double buffering on. I then go to Start Game. I select two teams. I then click start. It runs the FMV. Then it goes black and nothing happens at all. I was so close! I also tried it the exact same way without changing any of the settings.

Thank you in advance,
~Andy

"And the worms, ate into his brain." Hey You-Pink Floyd

Reply 1 of 9, by Dos Game Player

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OldSkoolCrazy wrote:
I am having trouble with getting Worms to work on my PC. I'm currently running Windows XP, using DOSbox-0.61. This is what I do: […]
Show full quote

I am having trouble with getting Worms to work on my PC. I'm currently running Windows XP, using DOSbox-0.61. This is what I do:

I run DOSbox.

I then enter this:

e:

setup

The setup runs. I install Worms onto my C: drive. I let the setup auto detect my sound settings. I then select Save settings and exit and press Enter.

It then asks me to type 'WORMS' and press Enter. I do this.

It then loads Worms. Everything is working fine, both graphics and sound. I get to the front end. I can access all the menus. I can set up a team and play with the video and audio setting and more. After putting the audio quality to ten and put double buffering on. I then go to Start Game. I select two teams. I then click start. It runs the FMV. Then it goes black and nothing happens at all. I was so close! I also tried it the exact same way without changing any of the settings.

Thank you in advance,
~Andy

Here is some fixes:
Do not have the mode to play the videos on the Video Options selected
Install from plain old DOS
If those don't work then se the CPU cyces to about 20000!
That should work!

Reply 2 of 9, by OldSkoolCrazy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It works! 😁 It was turning off the videos in the video options. I also ran the CPU cycle to 20000. Thank you very much.

Edit:

I have figured out a few other things. At first it seems like I would have to install Worms each time I wanted to play but that isn't the case.

Here is what you need to do:

c:

cd worms

setup

An option screen appears. Just select auto detect. Two messages will follow; say yes to both of these. Then select Save setting and exit and press Enter.

It will then ask you to type WORMS and then to press Enter, BUT don't. It will not work.

Instead, do this:

WORMS

It will run and all previous settings and teams will be there (if you saved status last time you ran Worms).

Note: This probably goes without saying for most of you, but just incase, e: is my cd drive. Your drive might be a different label so enter whatever your cdrom drive is named.

A few options don't work, such as load status seems to freeze up the game and you have exit and sample set under the Audio Options. Also, it sometimes freezes when the title screen is loading.

"And the worms, ate into his brain." Hey You-Pink Floyd

Reply 3 of 9, by TedTycoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Worms 1. I install using dosbox and the mount commands. I have installed it. It tells me to run worms so i do. It works ok displaying the OCEAN logo and the two clips of the worms with guns. It runs perfectly with sound. After the clip with the worm falling over cause of the weight of the guns.

It comes up with a bottom bar saying Worms then a wind meter. the rest of the screen is black. And it locks into that position forever. I tried speeding it up a lot and nothing happens.

Can anyone help me?

Reply 4 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, did you download Worms from an abandonware site? If so it's probably looking for MSCDEX. Just do a mount d C:\ -t cdrom (Doesn't matter where the directory is since the game is cracked) and that should allow the game to run.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 9, by illphil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have managed to get worms reinforcements working in dosbox from the origional worms and reinfocements cd's i now only have 2 issues. i cant save my teams so have to input new ones every time i play and i dont seem to be able to use the F keys in dosbox.

i have looked at the posts above and this doesnt seem to work for reinfocements.

anyone got any advice??

Reply 8 of 9, by Paulio999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey - another newbie here - same problem with Worms Reinforcements... I've got the original CDs for Worms and Reinforcements, have installed both, but it won't save my settings e.g. weapons,games, team names etc 🙁 I'd really like to start a proper league!!

Can anyone help?

Thanks, from Paul 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I play with the cracked version since it lets you use any CD you want, and when I was 16 and Worms was just released, my friend put on Watermark from Enya so I got so used to that music, I always use it when playing Worms. It's amazing how well On Your Shore suits the arctic theme.