VOGONS

First post, by Dos Game Player

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ahve noticed that the VGA emulation is OK but the sound seems bad when the cpu cycles are topped up. I have posted 2 sound samples from Theatre of War and Sid Merers Civilization. In each one the cycles have been vaired throughout. Hope it helps!

Qbix: Attachment removed

If you really must know I am also on the Team17 Forum! I am called canofworms!

Reply 1 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Have you read README and DOSBOX Guides ???
Basically if you get with cycles too high, you will have bad sound. Buy a better computer or decrease value of cycles.

The only other known cause of this is usage of non-USB joystick. Get rid of it if you have it.

Mirek

Reply 2 of 8, by Dos Game Player

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mirekluza wrote:
Have you read README and DOSBOX Guides ??? Basically if you get with cycles too high, you will have bad sound. Buy a better comp […]
Show full quote

Have you read README and DOSBOX Guides ???
Basically if you get with cycles too high, you will have bad sound. Buy a better computer or decrease value of cycles.

The only other known cause of this is usage of non-USB joystick. Get rid of it if you have it.

Mirek

I am using a AthlonXP 2000+

Also I am getting bad sound on 2500 cycles! The only way to get the sound right is to set it to about 800 cycles and then the graphics are rubbish

And secondly I don't have a joystick attached!

Reply 3 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1. Check that there is not any processor intensive process running in background. DOSBOX needs all processor power it can get.
2. Use a different SDL.DLL (search Internet).
3. I hope you are not using some nasty scaler (that hq2x which is available in PRIESTLYBOY CVS builds looks nice, but it slows down DOSBOX terribly).

If this does not help then I do not know. You should be certainly able to achieve far more than 2500 cycles.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 8, by Dos Game Player

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mirekluza wrote:

1. Check that there is not any processor intensive process running in background. DOSBOX needs all processor power it can get.

Done! SETI@Home quitted

mirekluza wrote:

2. Use a different SDL.DLL (search Internet).
3. I hope you are not using some nasty scaler (that hq2x which is available in PRIESTLYBOY CVS builds looks nice, but it slows down DOSBOX terribly).

Not using that

mirekluza wrote:

If this does not help then I do not know. You should be certainly able to achieve far more than 2500 cycles.

I can

Reply 6 of 8, by Dos Game Player

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey! I's not all that bad! They almost found other lifeforms once! Anyway I found that 500 cycles gets the sound right but then the graphics are slow!

AND

IE is not that bad 😒. Opera can not use all of SP2 features (XP only. It cant use the popup blocker, plugin control, securtiy blocker. The list goes on) Oh and lets not turn this into What webbrowser is the best thered! I have had to deal with that on the Team 17 Forum and that was bad enough!

Reply 7 of 8, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hehe FireFox all the way. Especially the nightly builds. I'm done now.
Anyways back on topic. Sometimes games go funky as the CVS matures so I can't say except that the sound emulation needs to mature itself. :-p.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.