VOGONS

Reply 40 of 112, by Landorin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also have an alternative to Dosbox. This is useful only when you want to play a DOS game in XP for example but emulating the complete game would be too slow. In case the game runs on XP without sound, google for a tool named SoundFX 2000, this only emulates the sound, thus the rest runs at full speed. Really useful as an addition to dosbox (which is not replaced by this at all).

Reply 44 of 112, by narech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have updated DOS/32A to version 7.33 and am now looking for beta testers to ensure that the new build does not break anything. Once everyhing is in the clear the new version will end up at the sourceforge. Email me if you are interested in doing some betatesting.

- Narech

Reply 45 of 112, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bump

I've been going through some of my games comparing DOS32/DOS4GW. I'll post the results hopefully pretty soon.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 46 of 112, by Narghes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

just as a side note... i'm sooooooo happy... tried DOS32A with constructor... it works... didn't detect a single flaw to the moment... no more lockups when trying to build something, nothing... it just... works... 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁

Reply 47 of 112, by eobet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This thread seems to be dead, but I just saw it and the mention of Z made me really interested.

I also noticed the mention that the sourceforge page wasn't proper and all, and then the mention of the 7.33 release of DOS32A, but now that I check the sourceforge page, I see a download for version 7.35... has this topic continued elsewhere or is the sourceforge page up and running again?

EDIT: Ok, damn... found the new thread. Please ignore this post.

Reply 48 of 112, by laurenke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used to be able to play this game, but that was when it was new. I want to play it again, but all of my computers are too advanced. The oldest computer I have--and so far the only one that the game runs stable on--is a Windows ME laptop. The only problem is that I cannot get the sound to work. I have searched Google to try to see if there's anything I can do myself, and have downloaded various programs such as SoundFX 2000, which work fine on XP, but the computer that is most compatible is ME.

But the game is stable. Played it for two hours, and no glitches or crashes or anything. Just the sound. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Reply 49 of 112, by bluey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

one and a half year later i can't get the game to work with Dosbox 0.65 and dos32a 912. It shows the Introvideo's of the Game but when it should load the Bridge screen nothing happens expect the Bridge backgroundsound. The original OVL works but crashes when going into the first fight.

Reply 50 of 112, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yea dos32a.exe is still active and is up to version 9.1.2

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 52 of 112, by kstabell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darkmage0707077 wrote:

I tried using the DOS32A downloaded from Sourceforge (v7.2) to make STTNG work like you said, but every time I try to run the SB program, all I get is an "SB/32A fatal error: DOS/32A Environment Variable is not set up properly. You need to reinstall DOS/32 Advanced DOS Extender on this computer."
What's this about? There was no install utility in the ZIP file, and moving and renaming folders and such doesn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?

I'm going through the full prossess to get the game to work and I'm having the same problem, which one do I download and if I'm not supposed to download the one with the installer for this then how do I set up the other virsions? all I get with those is text files

Reply 54 of 112, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wait, last time I checked dos32a made things worse instead of better as there seem to be problems with newer versions of DosBox!

The easiest way to run the game now is to set core=normal.
The game should work perfectly fine now (allthough you need rather powerful hardware, or you have to set high frame skip to improve performance).

Playing the game with core=dynamic will crash it on the tactical screen, playing it with dos32a now will make it unstable overall.

Reply 56 of 112, by ChrisJenkins

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi swaaye,

Many thanks for that great information! I've now managed to get STTNG installed under DOSBox (I had the CD ROM speed problem initially) and there is sound but after the various game intro cutscenes I end up with a black DOS screen with a (moveable) mouse pointer and background music and nothing else. Clicking does not seem to do anything and neither do any keypresses; I have to switch back to Windows and kill DOSBox.

I've tried increasing and decreasing cycles and tried different 'output' modes (surface, ddraw, opengl) but with no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Chris

Reply 57 of 112, by ChrisJenkins

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've found the solution to my problem. The problem is actually caused by the new (recommended) DOS/32 extender. If I play with the original DOS/4GW extender instead of the new overlay everything works just fine but with the new overlay I get the strange blank screen issue.

Reply 58 of 112, by kstabell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, new comp new problem. I followed everything through the install but when it got to the setup portion (which can be accessed by typing setup while in the sttng folder) I got the following error message:

Your CD-ROM drive has not been detected or the game CD-ROM is not in your CD-ROM drive. Please insert the game CD-ROM in your CD-ROM drive and try again.

when I try to play the game the following error shows up

Fatal error. Could not find resource file - Check CDPath in sttng.ini.

and here's what's in the .ini file

; Star Trek: The Next Generation, IBM Version.
Audio=None
Port=0x220
IRQ=0x5
DMA=0x1
Video=HI8
Sound=OFF
Music=OFF
Voices=OFF
Movies=OFF
Advice=0x0
VolMusic=0x7fff
VolSound=0x7fff
Dialogs=ON
Scale=ON
DPixel=OFF
Path=.
CD=.
UniVESA=OFF

Edit: I tried putting some of the info manualy into the .ini file to try and figure it out and in doing so I could get the game's splash screen show up but then it goes back the the regular dos window and displays "sosDIGIInitDriver" above the text entry position.

Edit 2:I figured out that the "sosDIGIInitDriver" error was due to something involving the sound card settings in the ini although I have yet to find an option that works and gives me sound however I can now get the game to play.

Here's the modified ini file, I keeped "none" under the audio option to make it playable but as it's suggested, I have no sound and am having trouble finding a solution:

Audio=NONE
Port=0x220
IRQ=0x7
DMA=0x1
Video=HI16
Sound=ON
Music=ON
Voices=ON
Movies=ON
Advice=0x0
VolMusic=0x7fff
VolSound=0x7fff