VOGONS

First post, by Realm667

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Buddies,
I have a big problem with the latest (and ll the other) version(s) of DOSBOX (0.61). I use D-Fend as Frontend for my games but unfortunately, if I try to run games like Doom, Blake Stone, OneMustFall2097, Epic Pinball and other of the newer oldgames, it runs very very slow (framerates from 2fps to 6fps) and also the music/sound stops and seems to slow down on some games and this really sucks. The problem is, I have no idea what I could do about it. I tried to change the change the cyclecount but this doesn't help at all with BlakeStone and Doom and just helps a bit for OMF2097 and RealmsOfArkania (but if the game runs smooth, the sound makes problems and vice versa).
Any tips what I could try out and change?!

Greets
Daniel

Reply 3 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well it's not that fast compared to what dosbox likes.

Anyway:
don't use 24 display depth setting
change output to overlay
do not use heavy scalers. (like advmame)
set frameskip to 1
cycles should be for your pc around 8000

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

a) Do not use ANY scalers at all (set scaler to none). Unfortunately DOSBOX uses NORMAL2X by default (if you generate completely new DOSBOX.CONF).

b) Remove non-USB joystick if you have one connected to your PC. I mean physically disconnect it.

DOOM is playable on my Athlon 1 Ghz in DOSBOX. So it should be playable your much more powerfull computer.

Mirek

Reply 7 of 8, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to note the soon to be? DOSBox 0.62 and its current beta homemade version from sourcecode and patches DOSBox CVS has greatly improved speed compatibility and much more. So if you can hold out for just a little longer you'll be much happer. Or you could jump the gun and start hacking into using my Windows build CVS versions of DOSBox. It is compatible with D-Fend since D-Fend is much more flexible in configuration options and such then the other frontends right now.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 8 of 8, by Alexsource

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Weird... omf2097 runs pretty smooth over here (some sound lag, but nothing serious), and it is a amd duron 1200+@850Mhz ... Had you desactivated all the unnecesary sound cards emulation? Also, set the sound quality from the game setup to the minimun, and turn off some of the games graphic effects (palette animation, especially), and set speed to max (again, from between the game itself).
Oh! i use full core set to about 5000 cycles 😉

chronos.jpg motoakira.jpg