VOGONS

First post, by misa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please, don't you have any idea how to launch the mentioned encyclopedia in DOSBox? It wants to know the driver of CD-ROM drive in CONFIG.SYS together with device name as well as MSCDEX with the identical device name otherwise it generates an error (can't find local CD-ROM drive). Maybe it is because of it combines the text of encyclopedia articles with sounds (produced by headphones inserted into the CD-ROM). The mentioned error was also in Windows 98 and XP. However, in Windows 98 was possible to use the bootable diskette and the encyclopedia worked… Now I am using Windows 10. Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt anyone here has this software.

Use DOSBox 0.74-2
Post the steps you are performing to install and run the software in DOSBox and the error that you receive.
If it's DOS software we don't care about Windows.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by misa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In DOSBox the application generates the same error as in MSDOS prompt of Windows 98 and XP. In application's manual is written that this error is a result of missing settings in CONFIG.SYS (missing CD-ROM driver name or missing CD-ROM device name next to it) or MSCDEX without CD-ROM device name next to it.

Usually I followed the 2 steps:

1. Booted MS-DOS 3.30 or higher
2. Launched the encyclopedia

But I had to pay attention that the CONFIG.SYS contains CD-ROM driver name with the device name and that the AUTOEXEC.BAT contains MSCDEX with the identical device name.

How to provide this information in DOSBox? Thank you.

Reply 3 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

follow the 60 seconds guide to dosbox.
It includes making the mscdex thing you need:
60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!