VOGONS

First post, by dparadise

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI Everyone, I am a newbie and have successfully used DosBox to run Silent Service II -- However lately I get an error message when launching Silent Service. It seems that i can mount the C: Drive correctly and can run a Dir listing and can see the SS Files including Silent.bat. When i type in C:\>SILENT.BAT I get an error message :
C:\> SS2 VGA IBM 720
Illegal command: SS2

Would appreciate any help!
I am running a MAC with OSX 10.9.5
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Processor 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

i havent run the program in a couple of years but it used to work. I did have an older Mac Operating system??? thanks for any suggestions.

Reply 1 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like your mount is incorrect. Your game shouldn't be in C:\ but C:\wherever you installed it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

In other words if silent.bat is in /users/yourusername/dosgames/silent (for example), don't mount that as c but /users/yourusername/dosgames and then in Dosbox change directory to silent (cd silent) and then run the silent.bat

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 24, by dparadise

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

YES. I Tried that. I put Silent in dosgame Folder then mounted dosgame. Then used C:\>CD\SILENT, THEN C:\>SILENT.BAT AND I got the exact same message:

C:\SILENT>SS2 VGA IBM 720

It seems that there is something preventing the program run.?? Why would SS2 be an illegal command?

Reply 4 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

could you make a screenshot of when you are using the mounts like I wrote (with mountings, cd and batch file execution? Also is ss2.exe (or ss2.com) in the silent folder?

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 24, by dparadise

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi-- Here is 2 screen shots. The top shot is the mounting and the CD to Silent and the Silent.bat command and the error message.
The lower screen shot is a view after my command of DIR- which shows the file content.
And there is no ss2.exe or ss2.com or ss.anything in the folder. There is an s.bat command which doesn't launch the program.

I have the original Silent Files which are located on an antique 5.5" Floppy Disks which i cannot access.

Thank you very much for your help. I

Attachments

• Screen Shot1.jpg
    Filename
    Screen Shot1.jpg
    File size
    202 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Then it seems your files are incomplete. Any other *.exe or *.com file in there?

Reply 8 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So maybe the silent.bat has an error.
Can you copy/paste the content?

Reply 9 of 24, by dparadise

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is the content.

Yes I have also tried to load the other exe and .bat files. The only other file that launches is the Install.exe. That command tries to install the program on another folder. All it does is create a folder called MPS- Then i get an error message and the folder MPS is empty.

Attachments

• Silent content two.jpg
    Filename
    Silent content two.jpg
    File size
    446.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Silent Content One.jpg
    Filename
    Silent Content One.jpg
    File size
    511.51 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sorry, misunderstanding, I meant please copy/paste the text of silent.bat 😉

Reply 11 of 24, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
dparadise wrote:

When i type in C:\>SILENT.BAT I get an error message :
C:\> SS2 VGA IBM 720

The OP has already described (sort of) what's in the batch file, which agrees with the 17-byte file size (15 plus assumed CR and LF characters at the end of the line) in the directory listing.

There should be an SS2.COM or SS2.EXE file, but it is apparently missing. If the game installation worked in the past then the executable has subsequently gone missing. Maybe it was deleted or quarantined by anti-virus software on the host, either because of actual virus or false positive -- not saying that's what happened, just an example of something that might have happened, and probably not likely for a Mac anti-virus to worry about a DOS virus. 😉

Reply 12 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ripsaw look at the screenshots:
- in the directory listing there IS a ss2.exe
- in the error message it says: illegal command: SS2.
So I thought it might go wrong there

Reply 13 of 24, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Ah, but it's not in the DIR listing in DOSBox according to the screenshot, so apparently DOSBox doesn't "see" the executable in the host filesystem somehow, or is otherwise disregarding it for some reason. Or... maybe the host file list is not the same folder that's mounted in DOSBox...

Reply 15 of 24, by dparadise

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ripsaw, the ss2.exe is in the folder and in the mounted file. Does the file order matter? I don’t think so. What do you make of the VGA comment? I tried lower monitor resolutions down to 640, but no difference ?

Reply 17 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's a textfile, open it in the mac text editor.

Reply 18 of 24, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

According to your screenshot, when you do a DIR command in DOSBox the SS2.EXE file is not listed. That implies that DOSBox can't see the file even if it is there. As jmarsh pointed out, the "type" on the files in the list is strange. Note that INSTALL.EXE, which is visible to DOSBox, is of a document type, but SS2.EXE is of a Unix executable type and is apparently not visible to DOSBox. I'm not sure how that happens or if you can change it... I'm not a Mac person.

Reply 19 of 24, by dparadise

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ripsaw: Yes. The SS2.exe file IS in the folder.. See My Attachments above. There are 2 screen shots of the folder NOT 1. See the last file in the UPPER screen shot.

Dominus: I opened the Silent.bat File with the text editor.. See attached.

it contains exactly the error message??

Attachments

• Silent Serivce.jpg
    Filename
    Silent Serivce.jpg
    File size
    15.96 KiB
    Views
    File license