VOGONS

First post, by DOSMan007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay so this game titled Zone 66, used to work in Dosbox, maybe on the 0.73 version, but now, it's not working at all on 0.74-2. When I try to run the game, I first got an error message telling me "This program can not run with an XMS driver!!! Please remedy this condition, or run HELPME for help.

So I go into the Dosbox options, set XMS=false, save, exit, and I try to run the game again. I get another message "You must have at least 512k of extended memory to run this program!!!"

Now EMS=true, UMB=true. MEM says this:

632 Kb free conventional memory
63296 Kb free expanded memory

So, I know DOS. I used to do this waaaaay back in the day with DOS 6.0 and then with DOS 6.22. I was constantly editing my config.sys and autoexec.bat to try and load anything and everything I could into the upper memory blocks, just to get games to run. I even went and bought the Qemm program that came out on 3.5" disks, just to try and get more memory for games working. So I know these memory messages and what I need.

Problem is, I have more than enough memory for this game, and it's not even working. Since this is Dosbox, I know it's not the old, original DOS 6.22, so I'm guessing there is something else I'm missing but I don't know what it is. Any help is appreciated, thanks. I'll try running it in Dosbox SVN Daum and see if that does anything.

EDIT: I get the same error message in SVN Daum as well.

Reply 2 of 2, by DOSMan007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

You need to set ems=false as well.

BTW, you can often find game-specific info like this in the compatibility list at DOSBox.com

This worked. Thank you and Merry Christmas! And I will check out that compatibility list. Didn't know there was one, so thanks again 😀