VOGONS

No sound in Syndicate

Topic actions

First post, by OvS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm a noob, but I've been playing around with DosBox for about 2 versions now. Extremely impressive to say the least. I can now play my favorite old Dos games like I did back in the early 90's. 😀

Anyhow... Syndicate runs, but there is no sound. I tried making, then adjusting the config file to no avail. Nothing helps. No matter what I set the SB IRQ to, it doesn't work.

Help. Thanks a mil in advance.

Another happy DosBox user. 😀

Brgds!

OvS

To fly is to live, to ride is to live life fullest.

Reply 1 of 21, by Telemaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I play Syndicate plus. That is CD with both Syndicate and datadisk Revolution. Sound seems to be ok. 0.63 of course. Using soundblaster 16 emulation.

config file contains these, default lines:

type=sb16
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

Reply 2 of 21, by benkid77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got sound working in syndicate under DOSbox (standard version - not syndicate plus).

Firstly, I edited synd.bat to change it from

main.exe >nul: /iirq5 /idma1 /iio$220 /c0

to

main.exe >nul: /iirq7 /idma1 /iio$220 /c0

i.e. so it matches the values specified in my dosbox.conf.

Secondly, I had to copy all of the files in the syndicate folder into the data sub-directory as follows

cd \games\synd
copy *.* data

This fixed it for me, hope that helps

Reply 3 of 21, by lazzardo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know how to edit synd.bat or any other files. I run a Mac OSX and can't edit the files in OSX and I am not too fmailiar with DOS commands to edit in DOSbox. I have Syndicate - standard version works fine but with no sound, I'd like to try the fix you reccommend but I don't know how. Can you tell me please, or point me to where this is discussed in the forums?
Thanks a bunch

Reply 4 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Lazzardo - what is the simplest text-editor you have on your system?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 21, by lazzardo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As far as I know the simplest text editor I have is called TextEdit. And AHA, it seems to be able to open the files....
Thanks for that little trigger, I only feel a little silly for not figuring that out.

Reply 6 of 21, by lazzardo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And yes benkid77's fix above works for me too. But on my Mac here it's choppy sound and a bit too slow now for fun playing. Time to see if I can speed things up a bit.

Reply 7 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

What are your settings for CPU core and cycles in DOSBox?

Reply 8 of 21, by lazzardo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is what it says in the config file:
core=normal
cycles=3000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20
I have made a few changes to other aspects of the config file via the DOSbox guide tutorial for speeding things up, but not to these settings you have asked about. I can't really tell much difference in speed from the changes I made, so I'm wondering if I need to save the changed config file in a certain place, or enter a command so dosbox recognizes the changed file...?

Reply 9 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You have several choices. You can edit the default dosbox.conf in the dosbox.exe directory, and the changes will work for all games. Or you can create a game-specific config, and have DOSBox use that instead (see the README for how to start DOSBox with a specific conf-file). Both require you to restart DOSBox.

Or you can change the settings on the fly. E.g.

Z:\> config -set cpu cycles=10000
config -set cpu core=dynamic

There is even a 4th method: Create an environment variable with a setting before starting DOSBox:

$ DOSBOX_CPU_CORE=dynamic
$ export DOSBOX_CPU_CORE
$ dosbox

Reply 10 of 21, by lazzardo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried editing on the fly with the exact input you suggested:

Z:\> config -set cpu cycles=10000
config -set cpu core=dynamic

Then I ran syndicate and it seems to run even slower. Is there a place to learn the best cycles and cpu settings? I imagine it could be different for different games? I certainly don't have any games that run too fast, but it would be great to speed things up. Thanks for your help too.

Reply 11 of 21, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Dynamic core doesn't work on macs, the next dosbox version
should have the dynamic core at least on intel macs available.
Other than that try cycles=auto while leaving core=normal.

Reply 14 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
lazzardo wrote:

<snip> I'm wondering if I need to save the changed config file in a certain place, or enter a command so dosbox recognizes the changed file...?

A good test is to enter some wacky cycles number in the config file, and then watch the title-bar of the DOSBox window. It should always display the cycles settings. If the wacky number shows, then DOSBox did find your config.

Reply 15 of 21, by lazzardo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe I don't know how to enter what the readme calls "the -conf switch". In Dosbox I just entered: z:\>-conf configfile
I also tried z:\>-conf dosbox.conf
I thought this would point Dosbox to the config file I wrote, but it tells me illegal command -conf.

Reply 16 of 21, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That's a switch for the executable, ie. use "dosbox -conf test.conf"
instead of just clicking on some dosbox icon. Of course you can use
the above in a shortcut or something as well.

Reply 18 of 21, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
benkid77 wrote:
I just got sound working in syndicate under DOSbox (standard version - not syndicate plus). […]
Show full quote

I just got sound working in syndicate under DOSbox (standard version - not syndicate plus).

Firstly, I edited synd.bat to change it from

main.exe >nul: /iirq5 /idma1 /iio$220 /c0

to

main.exe >nul: /iirq7 /idma1 /iio$220 /c0

i.e. so it matches the values specified in my dosbox.conf.

Secondly, I had to copy all of the files in the syndicate folder into the data sub-directory as follows

cd \games\synd
copy *.* data

This fixed it for me, hope that helps

I need to try copying the files into the data directory. I bet it will fix my no sound problem. I had already modified the batch file, but it didn't work.