VOGONS

First post, by jpsplat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, this is my first post on this forum. So please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place or if it has already been asked (I really tried to look, honest!)
I am trying to recreate this nullmodem experiment with Doom Shareware.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAHGD6JrENI
I hope that if I am able to do this I will be able to run a more obscure multiplayer game that only works through nullmodem.
I have tried connecting 2 computers in the same room and two instances of DOSbox on one computer. I am connecting the DOSboxes via serial one. They are able to connect just fine, but when I try to start a game through dm.exe (dooms multiplayer launcher) one of the status windows prints overrun errors and dm.exe exits. I have not tried port forwarding because I don't think I have to do that if all the DOSboxes are on the same network. I have tried adding an rxdelay of a variety of values and also setting the port to 5000, all to no avail. I have comcast internet which gave me trouble with portforwarding in the past. My IP addresses are class A which might make a difference? I am not sure what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached is a picture that generally shows the troubles I've been having when I try to run a nullmodem game through two instances of DOSbox on one computer.

Reply 1 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To start with what happens if you just try 2 player with the 2 PC's if this works you know the basic setup is working.

I can imagine the PC is getting very confused with 2 instances on the same box. Not sure why you would want to either, It's not like you'll be able to control both at the same time?

Reply 2 of 2, by jpsplat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually solved my own problem! It turns out that "dm.exe" just doesn't really work with DOSbox, I guess. I tried a newer version of a similar app with two different computers and I was able to connect a null-modem game successfully.