VOGONS

Might and Magic II

Topic actions

First post, by nattyk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have used dosbox, ver .63, to try and run this game. The game starts, however when I select start game at the first main menu, it asks - "Insert disk 1 in Drive C and press ENTER". I am running the game directly off a copy of the Challenge pack cd that i have on my hard drive. Is there any way i can use this copy, or do i need to run the game directly from a cd to bi-pass this problem?

Reply 2 of 21, by nattyk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The copy of the CD is in the folder located c:\challenge and the specific game is located in c:\challenge\cdgames\mm2\mm2.exe

mount d c:\challenge\cdgames\mm2 -t cdrom
d:
loadfix
mm2.exe

I also tried:
mound d c:\challenge\cdgames\mm2 -t cdrom -usecd -aspi
d:
loadfix
mm2.exe

Both methods come up with the same result.
Thank you for any help!

Reply 3 of 21, by nattyk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am sorry for bothering you... i just realised that there is an install. bat file that i can go through. The only problem is then that it can't alter the data, because it is read only (being a CDRom and all). I can uncheck the "read only" in the folder properties, but it just keeps re-checking itself. Is there any way to bypass that, or do i need to be asking that info somewhere else?

Reply 5 of 21, by nattyk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am finding no issue with starting the install.bat file from the cdrom. Dosshell starts up with the usual welcome screen. Then it asks me to select what data drive to use. I tell it c:\, which i have already mounted. But after i select drive c, the next screen flashes up for about a second before it dissappears and closes dosbox. I have waitonerror turned on, so it is more likely to be a problem not related to dosbox. Any hints?

Reply 6 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't get it, nattyk! You write:

nattyk wrote:

<snip> Then it asks me to select what data drive to use. I tell it c:\, which i have already mounted.

Previously, Mirek wrote:

mirekluza wrote:

Write precisely what you did (I mean precise commands).

And you replied:

nattyk wrote:
mount d c:\challenge\cdgames\mm2 -t cdrom d: loadfix mm2.exe […]
Show full quote

mount d c:\challenge\cdgames\mm2 -t cdrom
d:
loadfix
mm2.exe

I also tried:
mound d c:\challenge\cdgames\mm2 -t cdrom -usecd -aspi
d:
loadfix
mm2.exe

Now, where did that C: drive in "I tell it c:" enter the equation?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 21, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No wonder the game cannot find C: drive when you did not mount any... You mounted a CD ROM, but poor game cannot find any place to write...

Mount C:, Mount the CD ROM, install the game and then try to run it...

Mirek

Reply 8 of 21, by nattyk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, i've been very unclear with what i'm trying to say. Ignore everything i've said up to this point. Here is what i've done:

mount c c:\challenge\cdgames
mound d:\ -t cdrom -usecd 2 -ioctl
d:
install.bat

The installation process works until i select the c drive as the data drive. At this time dosbox closes, with no error messages.

Reply 9 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Can you start DOSBox from a command promt with the '-noconsole' option? E.g.

C:\> %ProgramFiles%\DOSBox-0.63\dosbox -noconsole

When DOSBox closes, does it leave any error message in the command window?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 21, by ribbon13

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MM2 still plays fine, without dosbox, with pc squeeker sound. from my WinXP box, and my Server 2003 box.

However dosbox refuses to run it except for in tandy mode. Seg fault and then SDL parachute.

Reply 12 of 21, by nattyk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I use the command prompt, i get told that the dos utilities, append.exe, subst.exe, and maybe join.exe can't be found to run the installation process. I've tried using my old, non-compressed, dos discs (v.6.2)to copy those files onto the data disc but that has not worked.
And the same error occurs in DOSbox no matter machine i run it as.

Reply 15 of 21, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I wonder what that CD version is... MM2 is really old small DOS game. Is it a remake? i have never heard about Challenge Pack...
Maybe you should try to get another version...

Normal Might and Magic 2 has always worked ok in DOSBOX (just start loadfix before mm2.exe, otherwise it will complain about memory). Otherwise no problems.

Mirek

Reply 17 of 21, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
nattyk wrote:

That's what i figured too. Is there anywhere i can get a copy of the game from that will work?

Sorry, nobody will tell it to you here. No abandoware links here (although I know that you have legal version yourselves, so it would not be pirating in your case).
Search the internet (abandonware). It is a quite old game, small in size, so I guess it should not be a problem...

Mirek

Reply 19 of 21, by dracon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've loaded mine from the might and magic 6 CD. Its the classics version of the game (which means the disk/password protection has been removed). However when I try to run it under dosbox on a vista laptop its giving me an error message that there are missing startup or graphics files.

Originally I had the not enough memory error but running the loadfix to remove some memory took care of that problem.