VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This has been mentioned several years ago but never was addressed.

It is also mentioned here:
http://www.classicgamingarena.com/?action=164&mid=84

And a handful of other forums.

Essentially, the game claims no netbios driver is detected. This is despite:
ipx=true (in conf)
ipxnet startserver (run before game)
netbios (run before game)

This same netbios works fine in other games I have tested it with including
Magic Carpet Plus
Syndicate Plus
Empire Deluxe
Empire II: The Art of War
Hi-Octane

This would suggest that the game is looking for something very specific in regards to how netbios is being reported. Figured 'd report it here.

Reply 2 of 3, by itgeekout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually played this on original hardware waaay back in the day. I'm about 85% sure we got lan working (was a long time ago). There is a small chance we only got Null modem working. I did get null modem working in dosbox but it is slow and only allows two players. I would be very interested in getting this working over lan. Such a fun game. II would love to play this with my Dad and Brother over lan, but alas I tried everything I could to get it work even finding old versions of netbios and spinning up dos instances.

Reply 3 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Before the game checks NETBIOS it checks for a network, a seemingly unusual extra step. It is actually the network check that fails, so the error message about NETBIOS is misleading. The attached workaround program will satisfy the network check; just run it in DOSBox before starting the game.

A patch is being considered to support the network check in DOSBox when ipx=true, but there is a concern that it could cause issues to indicate the presence of a network when there really is none.

Attachments

• Filename
    netcheck.zip
    File size
    174 Bytes
    Downloads
    69 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception