VOGONS

Space Hulk DOS revisited

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by braz24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm new to DOSbox but thrilled with it so far! My problem is getting Space Hulk CD (DOS) to run. I have searched and re-searched the forums to try and avoid asking the same question. Needless to say, I've failed.

I have:

P3 Direct laptop(888E), 2.4Ghz P4, Windows XP home, 1Gb ram, Radeon 9000 128Mb vram, I'll need to check about the sound hardware on the laptop. Trying to follow the posting standards here...

Assume I don't know any of the fixes, early or current. I'm not sure whether to even try the .exe or bat file. I tried both and noth even thinks about working. Any and all help will be HUGE!

Thanks in advance guys!

Reply 2 of 22, by braz24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using DOSbox .58 and with the Space Hulk cd in d drive:

mount c c:\hulkcd
mount c:
...at the c prompt I tried hulk then hulkcd then hulk.bat.

The best I've managed is a quick flash in the DOSbox window of the IRQ DMA etc settings then the DOSbox window disappears and nothing happens.

I tried variations of the above such as mounting the CD ROM drive d, chaning the mount to be "mount c c:\hulkcd\hulk or c:\hulk\hulk or c:\hulk\hulkcd. I tried combinations while in the mounting mode of using the hulk.bat file the dos4gw (or whatever the exact file name is...it's not in front on me right now). All with nothing happening or being told the directory does no exist.

Hopefully this is the information you required. Thanks!

Reply 5 of 22, by braz24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's the latest...

I uninstalled my old DOSBox and installed DOSBox .63 . I created C:\oldgames for any DOS games to be ran by DOSBox. I palced Space Hulk cd files in c:\oldgames and placed hulkcd in the CD drive.

From here I typed (per the tutorials)...

mount C C:\oldgames
c:
cd hulkcd
hulk

The program whirrs for a second and then prints

"could not load sound driver -D:\HULK\DRV_DIR\A32s16FM.DLL"

just before that the program prints to screen "main sb16 D E 220 5 -1"

I assumed these were the DMAs, IRQs etc. I made sure I have those chosen in the installation of Space Hulk cd and also have chosen Soundblaster 16 from the sound card installation choices.

This game really needs the sound to be true Space Hulk via computer.

What do I need to do now?

Thanks again all!

Reply 7 of 22, by braz24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I tried mounting c per the window above, then mounting d (both with and without a label for the cd on separate tries), then typed c:\, then tried to change directory (cd). DOSBox said it was unable to change directories. typed in hulk...no good. Tried typing in hulkcd...no good. The best the program did on one try was to whirrr a bit and then the DOSBox window disappeared completely with no running of Space Hulk.

Bottom line is I still get the same "could not load sound driver:-D:\Hulk\DRV_DIR\A32s16FM.DLL

What gives? Anybody know where the archived solution to this problem is?

Thanks again!

Reply 9 of 22, by braz24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I did the DOS drive changes to get the message for the sound divers not loading (see a few messages up from here). Again, I consistently get the bank DOSBox window (after typing cd hulkcd then typing hulk), the drive whirrs and then blank DOSBox screen disappears and the program does not run.

Thanks!

Reply 11 of 22, by braz24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I went into the installation portion of the Space Hulk Cd and changed my IRQ selection to 7 per the response above. Once again:

mount c c:\oldgames
mount d d:
c:
cd hulkcd
hulk

Again, the hard drive whirrs for a second, the DOSBox window goes blank and then dispappears with no running of the program. I have experimented with the 4 choices of sound cards available in the installation program of Space Hulk. No change. BTW, what is the default sound card that DOSBox emulates?

So this is the latest...More suggestions will be taken to heart!

Thanks!

Reply 14 of 22, by braz24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You were right! 😁 That slash on the d drive made the difference. For everyone that cares' reference...

mount d d:\
mount c c:\oldgames (or hulkcd will work...oldgames is where I keep Space Hulk)
c:
cd hulkcd
hulk

That's it! Thanks for everyone's help and also patience!

Reply 15 of 22, by Nimzomitch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to resurrect an old thread like this, but I've been trying for about 2 hours to get this game to run with DOSBox v.72. Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated!

I'm running W98se on a a PIII 800mhz, 1 gig RAM, geforce3 (unsure how much video ram)

HULKCD is in the directory C:\OLDGAMES

Here is what I've done:

mount d h:\ -t cdrom
-Drive D is mounted as CDRom H:\

mount c c:\oldgames
-Drive C is mounted as local directory c:\oldgames\

c:
cd hulkcd
hulk

here's the error:
C:\HULKCD>main sb16 H E 220 7 1 -1
DOS/4GW Protected Mode Run-time Version 1.92
Copyright (c) Rational Systems, Inc 1990-1993
Could not load sound driver:-H:\HULK\DRV_DIR\A32S16FM.DLL

What am I doing wrong here?

Reply 17 of 22, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, that's pretty obvious.

First: shame on you for resurrecting this ancient thread, that has nothing to do with your problem.

Second: when using your brain, the problem is very easy to identify. Your CD-ROM is drive h:\, and you're mounting it as d:\ in DOSBox. The game has obviously been installed from the h:\ drive, as the error message (Could not load sound driver:-H:\HULK\DRV_DIR\A32S16FM.DLL) refers to that drive. I bet that file is on the game's CD. The game can't find that file, because the CD-ROM drive is now d: instead of h:. Like wd said, reinstall the game within DOSBox, and use the exact same mountings when starting it.

Oh, and btw: don't expect wonders when running DOSBox on your machine. DOSBox is quite CPU intensive, so you'll get slow performance with demanding games.

Reply 18 of 22, by Nimzomitch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help - I never was very good with DOS, so this is somewhat of a challenge for me.

Anyway, I've run the installer from within dosbox, and gotten the game to load. The music sounds fine but the voices and other effects seem to be playing at 3x speed.

Now I just need to find my old manual with the keyboard controls.

Reply 19 of 22, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nimzomitch wrote:

Anyway, I've run the installer from within dosbox, and gotten the game to load. The music sounds fine but the voices and other effects seem to be playing at 3x speed.

This game doesn't seem to like SB16.
I had the same problem, but after I changed the .bat file to :

main sb d E 220 7 1 -1
instead of
main sb16 d E 220 7 1 -1
it was all sorted.

Please note that my dosbox uses default sb settings in conf (so it's set to sb16), and that I selected a sb16 in the game install program.

Latest dosbox cvs on windows xp sp3