VOGONS

Space Hulk DOS revisited

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 21 of 22, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This thread just shows (and don't ask me why!) that most DOSBox users just don't wan to recommend a GUI front-end and would rather just confuse newbies like this guy. You'd also be amazed how often I get flamed for suggesting a front end! A lot of time is wasted across the web, on sites like this, abandonware sites and gaming sites in general telling gamers the same thing over and over - how to mount a CD, how to mount a hard drive, how to edit a DOSBox ini, etc. If people were advised straight away to download a frontend there would be so much less grief. The only thing I don't like about the DOSBox team is their unwillingness to have worked with one of the front end packages, that have been around for years, to avoid all this wasted space like in this thread. Only now do they seem to be thinking about incorporating a front end. Given DOSBOx came into being with Windows 2000, a GUI OS. Since then we have had XP and Vista. And yet DOSBox still does not have a built in front end and we get questions like the above asked over and over and over and over, from people that have never used DOS and who find it difficult to grasp the concept.

Reply 22 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This thread just shows (and don't ask me why!)

Your post just goes to show that you do not know proper posting procedure.

that most DOSBox users just don't wan to recommend a GUI front-end and would rather just confuse newbies like this guy.

Yes, we purposely do not recomend GUI's for DOSBox because we just love to confuse people. Give me a break.

You'd also be amazed how often I get flamed for suggesting a front end!

Actually no I wouldn't there's a reason why frontends are not suggested right off the bat. If you'd think about it for more than 5 minutes you'd know why

A lot of time is wasted across the web, on sites like this, abandonware sites and gaming sites in general telling gamers the same thing over and over - how to mount a CD, how to mount a hard drive, how to edit a DOSBox ini, etc. If people were advised straight away to download a frontend there would be so much less grief.

The time is mostly wasted because users are too lazy to read documentation or are using a system they shouldn't be playing around with anyway. A simple frontend can only do so much. Almost all of the problems are with installing the games, finding an uncorrupted copy and setting up the games. Problems with a simple frontend can not take care of without a huge infrastructure behind and publisher approval.

The only thing I don't like about the DOSBox team is their unwillingness to have worked with one of the front end packages, that have been around for years, to avoid all this wasted space like in this thread.

Wrong. Without the DOSBox team including features for frontend developers to use then there would be no frontends for DOSBox.

If you were that worried about wasted space in this thread then you wouldn't have posted in this thread since your post doesn't belong here.

Only now do they seem to be thinking about incorporating a front end. Given DOSBOx came into being with Windows 2000, a GUI OS. Since then we have had XP and Vista. And yet DOSBox still does not have a built in front end and we get questions like the above asked over and over and over and over, from people that have never used DOS and who find it difficult to grasp the concept.

Wrong, the DOSBox team has always known that the GUI would be an issue with DOSBox but we've never really cared BECAUSE DOSBox is primarily for people who have DOS experience! (or for those without ADD and the ability to read and type)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline