VOGONS

First post, by webmonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know there are a lot of posts about Zork, and I've searched for a solution but nothing has worked yet. I apologize if I've overlooked it.

I've had the Zork games for a really long time. I don't recall details about release, version, format, etc that might identify it in a particular way if there were ones that require different solutions.

When I run any of the games from within DOSBox it does absolutely nothing. It doesn't output anything. It just seems to lock up.

If there is a solution within DOSBox, or elsewhere, I'd appreciate knowing. I really want to introduce my sons to these games as an alternative to the ones they play.

Thank You

Reply 2 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The info in the Compatibility List is provided by users and not verified in any way, so take it with a grain of salt, particularly those entries that claim a given game is broken with no information given.

That said, the Zork Anthology should work in DOSBox. Do you have the floppy or CD-ROM version? How are you installing the games? Have you tried following the 60 Seconds Guide in the guides section of the forum?

Reply 3 of 3, by webmonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BardBun wrote on 2020-11-27, 15:40:

Zork should work no problem normally. Except for Zork 2 (1981).

I've seen that list and noticed it was present but it still doesn't work.

ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-11-27, 22:46:

Do you have the floppy or CD-ROM version? How are you installing the games? Have you tried following the 60 Seconds Guide in the guides section of the forum?

It was definitely from diskette. I'm don't think I have the diskettes anymore. I've been running it out of a directory where I've had it for many years. I've given it many times greater than the 60 seconds. Just sits there with a blinking cursor and never outputs anything.