VOGONS

Internet Archive

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by carheerwagen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to burst someone's bubble but the programs on this site should be considered abandonware and should not have support from Dosbox forums as per the rules.

Reply 1 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carheerwagen wrote on 2020-11-27, 15:46:

Sorry to burst someone's bubble but the programs on this site should be considered abandonware and should not have support from Dosbox forums as per the rules.

I am of the opinion that the only linking to the Internet Archive that should be allowed is to website archived data that was public before the said websites either died or changed . This is useful mainly for drivers, docs and software that was publicly distributed freely by the rights holders.

Any commercial software that was not allowed to be freely distributed publicly at the time should be off limits, unless the rights holders give express permission to distribute it now .

I think that the Internet Archive should be considered a special case, rather than be prohibited conpletely, because there is no other website that has so much otherwise impossible to find, useful (sometimes essential) and fully legal content . The shady or grey area stuff is easy enough to identify and disallow, IMHO .

That is my opinion. Hopefully a mod will chime in and clarify the official position .

Reply 2 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And you are who exactly? You're obviousily not a mod. IP lawyer?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you seeing a lot of threads here asking for support for programs at the Internet Archive? In fact, there don't seem to be a lot of threads asking for support for specific programs at all anymore.

Sorry to burst your bubble.