VOGONS

First post, by benny68bmx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
i'm new at this forum and have a question right away.
A few coleagues and me use from time to time an calculation tool from the late 80s (written in pascal and fortran).
Since a windows update a few weeks ago it isn't running anymore. Now we get a runtime error 208. We tried many possible solutions (emulate the CPU speed manualy; slow down or workload CPU or use another Tool - vDos). But the problem still exists. The only workaround at the moment is an older windows version on a virtual machine. But this cannot be a long term solution.
Do you have an idea what I can try?

Thanks
Benny

Reply 1 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Are the files exactly the same in the VM and your local copy ?

Have you double checked the permissions. Make sure you are not in a weird folder like program files for your application files

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

as runtime error for pascal is (free pascal at least)
208 : overlay manager not installed

Which looks like some file can not be found/openened

Reply 3 of 5, by benny68bmx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I'm totally shure the files are the same.
Further it doesn't matter which dosbox version we try. After the windows update first I thought that with an dosbox update everything will be fine again but we still have the same problem (on several computers with several versions of dosbos or vDos).

Reply 4 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

as I said, ensure that all files can be opened by dosbox. Maybe get a debugger build of dosbox (see the development forum) and see which files it tries to open (and maybe fails)

Reply 5 of 5, by benny68bmx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote on 2020-12-01, 19:40:

as runtime error for pascal is (free pascal at least)
208 : overlay manager not installed

Which looks like some file can not be found/openened

I also thought about that. So I took a not updated Laptop (where the software with dosbox still runs) and searched for some differences in the visualbasic versions. I added some older versions of visual basic. But that did not help either.