VOGONS

First post, by pseudo3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, after reading about Orion Burger on HG101 many years back, I decided to try Orion Burger (1996, Sanctuary Woods), which I found for DOS. It was not, unfortunately, compatible with ScummVM, and I installed it with a new copy of DOSBOX-X, latest version for Win7 64bit.

After finagling with how to install a DOS game, I ran the setup off of the CD image, and soon began working with how to install a game, with the final EXE being located in C:\Games\BURGER\BURGER.EXE. PCGamingWiki warned that the game had disc protection, which DOSBox didn't support, but that could be fixed with the DOS32a.exe. So that seemed to work and I tooled around for it for 15 minutes.

Fast forward to today, when I try to launch the game for a second time. I launch BURGER.EXE through DOSBox-X, it throws up the LaserLok warning. Try to use the code "dos32a burger.exe -c", claims it can't open "burger.exe" with a 3001 code. ("burger.exe" was never modified, so it's probably not corrupted).

Try to run DOS32A.EXE (same folder) through DOSBox-X, and it says it needs the right syntax. Error 8001, "syntax is DOS32A <execname.xxx>".

Ok, I type "DOS32A burger.exe", gives me a 3001 code saying it can't open "burger.exe". The "dos32a burger.exe -c" does nothing either.

Only SETUP.EXE seems to work (which allows sound card setup) and LOADPATS.EXE (another tool for sound).

Why did DOS32A.exe appear to quit working?

Reply 1 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pseudo3d wrote on 2020-12-17, 20:40:

So that seemed to work and I tooled around for it for 15 minutes.

The vast majority of the time, when something works once with DOSBox and doesn't work again, it's because you changed how you're mounting things.

Did you mount the CD?

Reply 2 of 3, by pseudo3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-12-17, 20:48:
pseudo3d wrote on 2020-12-17, 20:40:

So that seemed to work and I tooled around for it for 15 minutes.

The vast majority of the time, when something works once with DOSBox and doesn't work again, it's because you changed how you're mounting things.

Did you mount the CD?

Yes, the CD has been mounted this whole time, and I even re-mounted the C drive in case that was the problem.

Z:\>C:\Burger\Burger.exe gave the Laserlok warning, indicating that it saw the EXE correctly in that directory, but then Z:\>C:\Burger\DOS32A burger.exe -c threw up the 3001 error, not being able to open the EXE.

At this point, since I have a Mac emulator I'm rather pleased with, I'm going to try the Mac version, and maybe try to re-install the DOS version at another time.

Reply 3 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pseudo3d wrote on 2020-12-18, 17:08:

Z:\>C:\Burger\Burger.exe gave the Laserlok warning, indicating that it saw the EXE correctly in that directory, but then Z:\>C:\Burger\DOS32A burger.exe -c threw up the 3001 error, not being able to open the EXE.

That's the other thing you're not supposed to do.

You need to type

c:
cd burger
dos32a burger.exe

Most DOS programs will not run if you try to run them as you have suggested, as the program will try to look for its associated files in the current directory (in this case Z:\).