VOGONS

First post, by Humphrey99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ultima Underworld 1 not running on Dosbox 0.74-3 under Arch Linux, it is running fine on a Manjaro setup.

I can start the game just fine and finish character creation, however when entering the 3D environment the game exits with the following error message:

Underworld can no longer run.    Error code C004.

Any guesses why this might be happening? There is some space between these two sentences of the error message, so it might be the error code is not from UU but in fact from DosBox. I dont know as I have not had this type of problem with DosBox before.

Last edited by Humphrey99 on 2021-04-17, 14:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The reference card mentions this error specifically and suggests adding "FILES=20" to your config.sys file. I don't use DOSBOX so I'm not sure how to set that, but it appears to be an in-game error and not a DOSBOX error.

Reply 2 of 3, by Humphrey99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
newtmonkey wrote on 2021-04-17, 09:21:

The reference card mentions this error specifically and suggests adding "FILES=20" to your config.sys file. I don't use DOSBOX so I'm not sure how to set that, but it appears to be an in-game error and not a DOSBOX error.

Thanks for your input, I could resolve the issue in the meantime. In fact I was playing the game from a network drive (where I stored my old dos games) which worked fine for years under Windows, for some reason that now gave me trouble under Arch Linux. I am now running the game with local files and the error message is gone.