VOGONS

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I was trying some old games and I found Line Wars 2 (previously shareware, now freeware).

It supports a (small) variety of graphics cards, MCGA (Standard VGA), VGA (320x480, mode X), VESA (640x480), S3 (800x600) and ATI Mach 8 (800x600). My Dosbox.conf file include the line machine=svga_s3 so it should emulate a S3.

The results:
- The game autodetects the S3 card. It shows it as an "S3 Accelerated SVGA", with unknown chipset and 2048Kb RAM.
- MCGA, VGA and VESA modes works fine.
- S3 mode shows this message: S3DRV ERROR: VESA Enhanced 800x600 mode with 256 colors not available!
- The ATI mode shows that the card is not detected (obviously, AFAIK Dosbox doesn't emulate it).

The S3 emulation is working (it gets detected), and using whatvga (from VGADOC) shows both VESA and S3 (listed as a S3 Trio64 764). That's normal (my old Trident card was listed as both a VESA and a Trident card), and it lists a 800x600x256c mode as 0x103 on both VESA and S3 modes list.

Other tests:
- UniVBE 4.1 (included with download) installs as VESA 2.0, the game doesn't work.
- UniVBE 6.53 installs VESA 2.0 and 3.0 extensions, the game doesn't work.
- PCem v17 (using a 486 with S3 Trio 32 card) does work.
- My old laptop (S3 Savage MX) tries to start the game, then hangs. Not a big surprise, every other game with S3 support that I've tested didn't work.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

LineWars 2, S3 Video mode

A thing to keep in mind is that there are many different brands and models of S3 video card, and there are significant differences between them in hardware and video BIOS. DOSBox nominally emulates S3 Trio 64, but it actually seems to be a bit of a hybrid.

Reply 2 of 3, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, my fault. I looked for "Line Wars" but not "LineWars".

Thanks for the link.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!