VOGONS

First post, by Joseph Collins

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, so. . .

I run Might & Magic III: Isles of Terra, right? It runs perfectly, as can be expected. Except. . .when using Sound Blaster or AdLib, I don't appear to get any sound whatsoever.(Excluding digital sound effects such as voices and the "new item"/"selection made" sound effect. Sounds like a pretty little "shwing" sound.) I also has absolutely no music whatsoever. None. I have to set it to Roland and Sound Blaster to get music, but seeing as the Roland emulation takes the current sound card and/or used SoundFonts for its samples. . .eh. . .the sound effects and music both sound like garbage on my Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 sound card. . . And don't tell me the music's just really, really low. Trust me, there is no music playing. Is there nothing I can do about this, other than using the Roland option?

Reply 3 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

did you try experementing with the sblaster type in the dosbox configuration file ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 16, by Mok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tried to play with the settings and you are right, it works if soundblaster is set to sb1 or sb2 (any sbpro or sb16 and the sound is gone). I'm pretty sure it worked on real sb16 years ago though.

-Mok

Reply 5 of 16, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I did not try it (no time now), but my guess is that there are once again troubles with mixer (no problem with sb1, sb2, because they did not have it).
Despite what you said, I think that music is probably still there but really quiet... (at least this usually happens when there are mixer problems).

Mirek

Reply 6 of 16, by Joseph Collins

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It'd have to be set on, say. . . 1% or something then, mire, because I cranked my Windows Mixer to the maximum on both WAVE Output and Overall, and guess what? Only the digital sound came through. No MIDI(AdLib/SB) music or sound effects. But as I said, the game works perfectly with music and everything in DOSBox v0.61, so I'd already found one solution. And Mok is correct. Might & Magic III should be fully compatable with even a Sound Blaster Live! v5.1 sound card(with Sound Blaster 16 emulation for DOS). It was back when I was running it in the DOS Prompt of Windows 98: Second Edition.
As I type this, I've also done as Qbix suggested and changed the Sound Blaster emulation type in the dosbox.conf file. Repeatedly. Much as I hate to admit it, changing it from SB16 mode to SB1 or SB2 mode worked perfectly. However. . .it does not give music if you use SBPro1, Pro2, or SB16 mode. Period. I don't care what anyone says. It does not play music in those modes. Therefore, that is still an issue, considering on a real MS-DOS machine with any of those cards, it would play music. Apparently, SB1 or SB2 is the default(and unchangeable) in DOSBox v0.61.

So, my game compatibility opinion stands. 90% compatable in v0.63.

Reply 7 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Relax.

The mixer mirek is talking about is the mixer internally in dosbox that comes with the higher soundblaster types.
Look at the sblaster section in the configfile

# mixer -- Allow the soundblaster mixer to modify the dosbox mixer.

If you disable that then we know if it's a mixer problem or that something else goes wrong in the soundcard detection.

Reply 8 of 16, by Mok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the sound is working in sb16 mode when this option is disabled. When the game starts I see the following error in dosbox log window: "SBLASTER:MIXER:Write F to unhandled index 0". But it might be not related at all.

-Mok

Reply 9 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well that doesn't seem to have to do a thing with it.
but I did find something odd.

Reply 10 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

fixed it
Should work now. Mirek could you test/remember other games effected ?

Reply 11 of 16, by Joseph Collins

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm. . . Yeah. . .setting the Mixer variable to "false" did the trick. . . How bizarre. [off-topic]Still no MIDI music in Timeslaughter, though.[/off-topic] :x

Reply 12 of 16, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Qbix wrote:

fixed it
Should work now. Mirek could you test/remember other games effected ?

I think I saw it in another mm game (either in mm4 or mm5 - before merging them to "world of xeen"!). Sound setup asks whether it should regulate volume automatically - "yes" answer lead to the similar effect.
I will try to check it over weekend.

Mirek

Reply 13 of 16, by Joseph Collins

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In World of Xeen, if you let it regulate the sound volumes, the music and MIDI sound effects would die down to about half-volume after one of the gatekeepers in the Darkside towns, or the Cloudside Red Dwarf Mines spoke. However, if one of the alone-games has the same DOSBox-related glitch that Might & Magic III does, it would be Might & Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen. It was the earlier release, afterall. If memory serves me right, the configuration program for Clouds is actually more like the one for M&M3 than the Darkside one. . .