VOGONS

First post, by Zanthia84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I'm playing Countdown and have strange problems when I go to Black December Headquarters in Athens.

I have put together the catapult and put the rock in it and I wait for the guard to stop and when I pull the lever the game locksup completely.

In regular dos the guard should be knocked out. But this is the strangest part: Dosbox also locksup completely!

And I can't even Ctrl+F9 out of it. I have to shut it down with Ctrl+Alt+Del.

This game also locked up when I went to see Fountaine, but I had just saved before it so I later got past the part when it didn't lockup. I also had the lockup problem when going to see Rachel Akura but luckily I saved before it so I got past it too.

I think this is very strange, it seems the game and Dosbox lockup randomly in different parts of the game but if you saved it before the part you can continue the game when you restart dosbox.

Does anyone else have this problem and how did you solve it?

Reply 4 of 14, by Zanthia84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried it with loadfix and it didn't help. I usually have gotten past the lockup parts by saving and restoring but it didn't help now.

Maybe someone could send a saved game after getting inside the Black December Headquarters, so I could continue the game, because these lockups are really frustating and I really like this game so I'd love to play it to the end.

Reply 5 of 14, by Zanthia84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Btw Qbix, do you have Countdown?

If so, maybe I could send you my saved games and you could test the game and see if your Dosbox locksup when trying to enter the Black December Headquarters?

Reply 7 of 14, by Zanthia84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I attached the zip file to my post. Unzip the savegame in the directory where you installed Countdown.

In the game restore the save and wait for the guard to come out.

When he stop walking, move the lever and then enter the headquarters through the doorway.

After that, tell me does the game work in your Dosbox.

Attachments

• Filename
    Countsg.zip
    File size
    369 Bytes
    Downloads
    188 downloads
    File comment
    This is the saved game just outside the headquarters.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

crashes reguraly as well
some rom writes it seems

Attachments

• Filename
    a.zip
    File size
    392 Bytes
    Downloads
    187 downloads
    File comment
    past oit
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 14, by Zanthia84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nevermind. I downloaded the save and unzipped it in the Countdown direcotory.

Thanks very much for the save Qbix, but the game locked up almost immediately.

How did you btw got past the catapult lockup and could you get past the Headquarters lockup?

And what does the rom write problem means?

Thanks very much for trying to help and merry Easter!

Reply 11 of 14, by pinkhitcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, has this ever been resolved somehow? I'm playing Countdown as well. I managed to get past the catapult part but the game keeps crashing when I'm in the hallway of the HQ trying to avoid the guard to get to a hostage. Does anybody have a save after passing the guard in the hallway and making it to the hostage? Thanks.

Reply 14 of 14, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I was just about to say that. The problem is the "Real Sound" does work in DOSBOX 0.65 but occasionally causes a crash. You need to select any sound other than Real Sound for that segment only. I did not notice any other crashes in the game. I am thankful that REAL SOUND is not compatible with DOSBOX (albeit this bug exist).