VOGONS

First post, by nad53

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good day there.

I got this case:

In any dosbox build, if you do start cybersphere game (just look up for the main menu then quit to commands line again) and then join Jill of the Jungle then you can notice Jill of the jungle music will lack of certain music instruments ...
About what I read, Jill of the jungle uses OPL-2 and cybersphere uses OPL-3. In standalone you can set if it's auto to detect if game allows to use OPL-3 or OPL-2, because using OPL-2 in cybersphere game may not offer the fully music experience intended by developers ... What I suspect about this issue is that DOSBOX doesn't have some code to switch properly from OPL-3 to OPL-2 ...

I'm aware that you could completely skip this issue if you close dosbox the time you for example play Cybersphere, close dosbox and then re-open it to play any other game. But still , would like to know if there's some way to fix it without closing the core or standalone for such a very specific case that I couldn't find other people to experience it (since I can imagine there're more games that use OPL-3).

I'd like to let this particular case being known to dosbox developers since I know it can be very tricky to happen but it happens ...

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by nad53 on 2021-10-07, 15:30. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It may depend on the FM driver included in particular versions of Jill; but there is a patch to improve SB sound effects and allow the FM driver version to be selected: Jill of the Jungle Sound Effects

At the DOSBox shell command prompt, changing the sbtype= setting, even to what it is already set to, will cause a reset: e.g. "sbtype=sb16". The same is true for the oplmode= setting: e.g. "oplmode=auto".

Reply 2 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

More info about the issue; maybe interesting to some:

Cybersphere and Cybersphere Plus do not switch off OPL3 mode at exit to DOS, but a separate jukebox program (available from the author's archived website) does. So, I guess that not switching off could be considered an oversight.

For cases where it can be useful, perhaps on real systems as well as in DOSBox, the attached tiny DOS program switches off OPL3 mode.

Attachments

• Filename
    opl3off.zip
    File size
    128 Bytes
    Downloads
    51 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 6, by nad53

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2021-10-03, 16:38:

More info about the issue; maybe interesting to some:

Cybersphere and Cybersphere Plus do not switch off OPL3 mode at exit to DOS, but a separate jukebox program (available from the author's archived website) does. So, I guess that not switching off could be considered an oversight.

For cases where it can be useful, perhaps on real systems as well as in DOSBox, the attached tiny DOS program switches off OPL3 mode.

Thank you for your kind help, really appreciate it. Some guy just suggested to use oplmode=auto which apparently fixes up the issue but only one single time with initial script.

Do you know if there's some way to use that file automatically each time getting outside cybersphere ??

Reply 4 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
nad53 wrote on 2021-10-07, 11:47:

Do you know if there's some way to use that file automatically each time getting outside cybersphere ??

Sure, just use a batch file. For example, the following CS.BAT file allows any of the Cybersphere programs to be run from a menu, and OPL3OFF runs after they exit, but note that it is not run for the jukebox that already switches off OPL3 mode at exit.

@ECHO OFF
:MENU
CHOICE /CCPDJE /N "Run which: (C)ybersphere, (P)lus, (D)emo, (J)ukebox, (E)xit ?"
IF ERRORLEVEL 5 GOTO END
IF ERRORLEVEL 4 GOTO JUKE
IF ERRORLEVEL 3 GOTO DEMO
IF ERRORLEVEL 2 GOTO PLUS
CYBER
OPL3OFF
GOTO MENU
:PLUS
CYBPLUS
OPL3OFF
GOTO MENU
:DEMO
CYBDEMO
OPL3OFF
GOTO MENU
:JUKE
CYBTUNES
GOTO MENU
:END
CLS

Reply 5 of 6, by nad53

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2021-10-07, 13:51:
nad53 wrote on 2021-10-07, 11:47:

Sure, just use a batch file. For example, the following CS.BAT file allows any of the Cybersphere programs to be run from a menu, and OPL3OFF runs after they exit, but note that it is not run for the jukebox that already switches off OPL3 mode at exit.

I'm not really sure what "jukebox" program you're refering to. But still, this is a great help and addition from your part. Good vibes to you and thank you so much for the kind help.