VOGONS

First post, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to the game database this game is supported. However, when I try to run setup it just says: "This application requires a CD-ROM. In case of difficulty refer to the manual." Tried it with real CD and CD image (mounted with Alcohol 120%), with DOSBox 0.63 and current CVS build, same result. At the same time the console reports "Warning: file creation failed: g:\$$$.$$$" - understandable, as g: is CD-ROM. Searching through the forums I've found a discussion of a similar topic, inability to run this game on XP due to some missing function in CD-ROM support. This is not the same -- DOSBox does not necessarily have to be limited by host limitations (yes, my system is running XP). The same game runs just fine on the same system in Virtual PC (setup is somewhat screwy there but workable, the game is OK). I tried to copy installed files from VPC to DOSBox and got the same message, although this time console did not report any warnings.
Some additional info: I've got the game on the original CD (not a copy or download), version 1.0. Floppy version runs just fine. The host system runs XP SP2 on Athlon64 3500+/2GB.
Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 3, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Presuming that you mounted the cdrom drive properly you could try some VDMSOUND+SAPUCDEX combination. No hurt in trying.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, Goblins Quest 3 runs fine on all of my XP boxes with just VDMS and SAPUCDEX. I have played all of the way through with no problems. DOSBox seems to have problems with the Coktel Vision CD games, even with the -ioctl switch.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 3, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for replies. I may try VDMS/SAPUCDEX later, although I can play the game in VirtualPC. My question was more about discrepancies in Games database -- the game is listed there as running (two times) when in fact it's not. Would be good to have new database, cleaner, more up to date. Oh well, wishfull thinking...