VOGONS

First post, by XaeroVore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, when I try to calibrate my joystick in game, I can't get the dot to center, all it does it stay in the top left corner and wont move. Is there some comand to recognise the joystick or something I can do to get my joystick to work. I've tried using a PS2 controller, and a Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro, both with the software installed for them. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Reply 1 of 6, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First of all we've got to be sure that dosbox recognizes your joystick.
Look at the message window in dosbox. You should find something like
"Using joystick (name) with n axes and i buttons."
If it's there then dosbox has found your joystick and it's a compatibility problem with that game. In that case you can do nothing but wait for a new version.

Iampiti

Reply 2 of 6, by Mr Wendal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same problem. Dosbox can detect the joystick, but it doesn't work correctly in the game.

Interestingly, I can get my Playstation 2 joystick adapter working with the game properly (on the left analog stick)

But i cannot get either of my flight yokes working. The both have 4 buttons, throttles and POV hats. One is USB and one is game port.
I have tried installing the game in both "joystick" and "joystick with throttle" forms but neither work correctly with either flight yoke.

Reply 3 of 6, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember having the same problem some years ago under real dos. I had to edit the joystick settings manually in the config file (dark.cfg) to fix it. You'll have to experiment to find the correct values.

Reply 5 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also remember, under DOSBox, using an USB joystick is advisable over an analogic one. 😎

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 6, by Mr Wendal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, this works for the DOS version of the game, whether you are using dosbox or not. For the windows patch version see below.

Fire up the game with your joystick plugged in and get to the joystick calibration screen. Leave the joystick dead centre, don't move it at all, and press exit. Leave the game and open dark.cfg

The above will save the dead center value of the joystick for all values. Should look something like this:

JoyOn 0
Throttle 0
Joy Dead 0.100000
Joy cx 50
Joy cy 50
Joy lx 50
Joy ly 50
Joy rx 50
Joy ry 50

(note the "50" value will change depending on your joystick)

Now, leave cx and cy at the centre value.
Change lx and ly to 0.
Change rx and ry to double the center value (ie 100 in this case.)

The above example should look like this now:
JoyOn 0
Throttle 0
Joy Dead 0.100000
Joy cx 50
Joy cy 50
Joy lx 0
Joy ly 0
Joy rx 100
Joy ry 100

Now everything should work fine.
I could not get my throttle working using this method, however.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If using the windows patch version of the game, apparently the following works:
JoyOn 0
Throttle 0
Joy Dead 0.100000
Joy cx 226
Joy cy 233
Joy lx 8
Joy ly 8
Joy rx 445
Joy ry 458