VOGONS

Blood

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is the exact mount command that you're using in DOSBox? My guess is that the virtual path to your directory that DOSBox sets up is different from what you think it is.

Reply 21 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check that read-only is removed from the files. Don't just uncheck the subdirectory. Manually highlight the actual files and verify that read-only is unchecked. Then try to install.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 22 of 32, by DoomEad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Blood is installed on D:\
So in DOSBox I type

mount i: i:\ -t cdrom for the cdrom drive and it verifies
MSCDEX installed etc

then

mount d: d:\ and it verifies that too as being another drive

Reply 23 of 32, by DoomEad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have tried to manually adjust the "read only" files in windows explorer but some files present a dialogue box saying "Unable to alter read only attributes of ......." then it gives the file name.

Reply 24 of 32, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

DoomEad - why on Earth do you insists on using strange drive lettering like D and I inside DOSBox? What is wrong with C for the (virtual) hard disk, and D for the (virtual) CD-ROM?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 25 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Read-only is most likely the problem. I just verified with my copy of Duke 3D and the Duke In DC expansion which I believe uses the same installer as the CP addon for Blood. With RO specified on the Duke In DC files the installer would error out with a Runtime error, with RO checked off the Runtime error disappeared and installation finished.

Don't have the CP addon so I can't test it but looking at the image posted in the thread it appears to be the same installer so probably has the same bug...errr feature.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 26 of 32, by DoomEad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In answer to you question as to why I use D;\ and I:\ . I have four HDD's.

2x80Gb on a RAID setup which windows sees as 160Gb drive and on this I have 2 partitions F:\ & G:\ . F:\ is for my data/applications etc G:\ is for my modren windows based games that use windows to run.

1x80Gb drive E:\ which holds all my back up data like Norton Ghost images

1x80Gb with two partitions C:\ has windows 98SE on it and the other partiton D:\ has all my DOS based games on it.

So "Blood" is on D:\ drive and my CDROM is i:\ is that OK with you.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

So using C:\ as a virtual drive in DOSBox would mean putting "Blood" onto the windows partition so the installer could see it. But the installer sees "Blood" on the D:\ drive anyway.

Plus the whole point of having all these partitions is to keep data away from windows and poss conflicts and a separate physical drive to store backup's

Reply 27 of 32, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Congratulations with all the hard disks, DoomEad. It still doesn't explain why you want to keep a 1-to-1 relationship between the drive-letters in Windows and the drive-letters in DOSBox?

Unless that Blood installer can not be run from DOSBox that is??

PS: Here are my alphabet soup:

A:               Removable Disk
C: (WIN95_P) Local Disk FAT32
D: (DATA_FAT32 ) Local Disk FAT32
E: (WIN95_T) Local Disk FAT32
F: (WIN98_T) Local Disk FAT32
G: (SWAP_NTFS) Local Disk NTFS
H: (WINXP_P) Local Disk NTFS
I: (DATA_NTFS) Local Disk NTFS
J: (WINXP_T) Local Disk NTFS
K: Optical Drive
L: Optical Drive
M: (SPOOL) Local Disk NTFS
N: (OT_DOSFAT32) Local Disk FAT32
O: (OT_BIGFAT32) Local Disk FAT32
P: (OT_BIGNTFS) Local Disk NTFS

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 28 of 32, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DE: What MiniMax is saying is that you can mount a path to any drive letter you want inside of DOSBox. I can understand why you'd want to do it the way you're doing (keeps things simple and easy to remember), although I have to admit that I don't do it that way either (I mount D:\oldgames to C, and then CDROM R: or W: to D).

I won't bother bragging about my drve letters since I'm sure noone cares (I'll just mention that I have 4 hard drives, 2 optical drives, 1 floppy drive, and 8 mapped LAN drives)

Reply 29 of 32, by DoomEad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys. Sorry long time no type but I have finally got CP running BUT.........when I am in the game and at the beginning of the 1st level I can't get any response from the keyboard or gamepad to move or do anything. I can't find any setup file like there is in Blood. Any ideas?

Reply 30 of 32, by Cody Richeson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to know how he was able to run Blood. I have it and DosBox crashes whenver I try to run it. I know nothing of this "mounting" and "partioning" business, and the readme didn't make a lick of sense to me (D-Fend doesn't help in running Blood either). If someone could help me out I'd gratly appreciate it.

Reply 31 of 32, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First of all, you need to fix DOSBox hanging as soon as it starts.
Check your mainboard/video drivers are up to date.
Read all faqs and guides on these forums.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)