VOGONS

First post, by bbb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I would like to use an old instrument which has DOS control software and connects through serial port. I could start the software and it could communicate with the instrument through the serial port, but it throws an error and can not run its internal applications. I tried a DOSBox variant DOSBox-X, which can run the software, but it is way too slow, one measure takes 26-38s (changing the cpu settings did not change the measure time). I better would use DOSBox, not an alternative variant.
It seems that every time the software try to list the folder, it runs to this error and don't find the internal applications. I tried to mount the drive with -freespace option (at the select application screen the software writes out the free space left), that did not help at all.
I would like to know how could I find the root cause of the problem and solve it?

System:
Dell Latitude E5430, Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3110M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 professional x64, MOXA UPort 1110 USB-Serial converter, DOSBox 0.74-3

I compare the slowness to an Intel Celeron @300MHz with 196MB of SDRAM, where the screen becomes instant and one measure takes 6-8s.

Capture about the problem:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1L00hM … jCB?usp=sharing

Reply 1 of 3, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's a good chance that booting real DOS from a HDD image inside DOSBox will fix whatever problems your app has with file/disk access. The trade-off with this method is that you can't access the files in the DOS environment from Windows as easily.

I don't know what would help the performance of your measurements though.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 3, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox IS NOT SUITED TO RUN YOUR NON-GAMING DOS APPLICATION

Consider trying vDos, vDosPlus, etc.

DOSBox is not intended to be used for anything other than games, and its developers and support team on VOGONS.org (the official support forum for DOSBox) will not support your use of it for a non-gaming application - but other forks of DOSBox might.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 3, by bbb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SquallStrife wrote on 2022-01-20, 06:55:

There's a good chance that booting real DOS from a HDD image inside DOSBox will fix whatever problems your app has with file/disk access. The trade-off with this method is that you can't access the files in the DOS environment from Windows as easily.

I don't know what would help the performance of your measurements though.

Thank you guys,

After installed MS DOS 6.22 (it was not that easy to find my original disks) onto a HDD image, I' ve mounted that with ImDisk and copied all the files from the original DOS PC's HDD. After that it was running very slow, but I think I could solve this one too with the core=dynamic and cycles=max configuration. Now the software runs fine and with decent speed, but I have to test it with the instrument too... It was communicating before so I think it will work, so thanks again.