VOGONS

booting Windows 95 - Really :)

Topic actions

First post, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

After succesfully taking on Windows 3.1x I thought, why not try how far you can get with Windows 95.
I found an old version, probably 95a or b and installed it on a bootimage. Installation went kind of well, only crashed a couple of times on the hardware recognition. After about 5 dosbox reboots and using the safe recovery option it finally went beyond the hardware stuff and installed Windows 95 on the hdd image (veeeeeeeeeeeery sloooooowly).
But Windows 95 will not start up after that.
With core set to simple or normal Dosbox gave the error:
exit to error: CPU:GRP5:Illegal Call 7

and the bootlog.txt said in its last two lines:
[0002C0C3] Loading Vxd = EBIOS
[0002C0C3] LoadFailed = EBIOS

dynamic core crashed with fatal signal (not much else to see since it crashed good). Bootlog said the same as above.

Full core loads and loads and loads. I'll let it run a bit to see if it ever gets anywhere. But it's probably not doing anything besides taking up my CPU cycles.

win95boot6xa.th.jpg

I'm not really requesting help. I just tried that out of curiosity but didn't really expect it to work.

Reply 1 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

After some more tinkering I haven't gone further with the bootlog but now Dosbox crashes with "trying to read undefined DMA port f".
Actually it doesn't crash "right". It just hangs there and doesn't realize it has crashed. Just like Windows 95 did on real machines 😀

Reply 2 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm well it needs some more work. but wd managed it as far as i know.

Except for the showofff of skills I see no use why dosbox should run win95

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 20, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a few win95 games that won't run on Wine (including some which only run in 256 colors, which is difficult with my graphics card)

And then there is that program called "dosbox", they only have a windows binary, and I don't want to compile it by myself, so I could finally try that 😉

Reply 5 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

😀
I do agree that dosbox has no real need to run Windows95. It was just something that nagged me, after Win 3.1x ran 😀

Got to try WD's version.

Reply 7 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

not really, since it only really works with "booting" from an hdd image and not under plain Dosbox. And there is not much to proof anyway, is there?

Reply 9 of 20, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course, the truth is more complicated than "win is a dos program", but yes, you could view win95 as a dos extender with multitasking, shared libraries (DLLs) and a common GUI system. These are the three most notable features it adds.

Reply 10 of 20, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 9x/ME does sit on top of DOS, although it requires DOS 7 which has extra hooks (bloat, in other words) to support Win9x/ME. Just like with Windows 3.x, you can hack Win9x/ME to boot up in plain DOS if desired (and then launch Windows manually from the DOS prompt! Of course, there is no "exit" option in Win9x/ME because they weren't intended to be used that way)

Reply 11 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BootGUI=0 in msdos.sys, yes. I always set it so I can whip up DOS boot menus. The 9x exe is the same name as Win3.1 too, win.exe (or .com?)...

It was funny how MS didn't care that people knew win9x was built on DOS, until WinME when they hid it and in doing so made it a pain in the rear to use in many ways......

Reply 15 of 20, by A.Lupin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, I found a very good use of that: running Windows 9x games in windowed mode!! 😀 Seriously. I think that's the best of both worlds, especially for RPG games..

I used VMWare and Virtual PC a lot recently to experiment that usage, with only some degree of satisfaction. Mostly the 2D acceleration is quite lacking (they both still emulate an old S3 card only that does not do video decompression well either, IMHO), and the D3D feature is totally non-existent.... Mabye DOSBox could evolve into Win9xBox, so that we don't have to mess with Windows XP/Vista for those old games. What do you think?

Reply 16 of 20, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
A.Lupin wrote:

Mabye DOSBox could evolve into Win9xBox, so that we don't have to mess with Windows XP/Vista for those old games. What do you think?

Sounds good. When are you going to start?

Reply 17 of 20, by A.Lupin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know yet, as I am still evaluating this case 😁

I think the target should be just Win98 SE on Pentium. There are more smart and qualified people here to make it happen, potentially. What I am mostly interested in is DirectX redirection to the layer on the host, instead of full emulation. Time to dig out my Win98 DDK...

Reply 18 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sh4ring4n wrote:

Here's the problem, it's possible to boot windows 95 but it won't run right because the prosessor a 386 is only 91% compatable. And you have to somehow boot from the hd.

Hey don't knock the 386's win95 compatibility, that has better win95 compatibility than today's hot processors

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 19 of 20, by Marauder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
A.Lupin wrote:

Mabye DOSBox could evolve into Win9xBox, so that we don't have to mess with Windows XP/Vista for those old games. What do you think?

I think our best hope at the moment is Microsoft deciding to add 3D support for their Virtual PC. VMWare Fusion has shown it can be done.

I totally agree with your point, we can now run about 99% of old DOS games without major problems, but 3D accelerated games released during the Win95/98 era can cause major headache. 64-bit OS and dual/quadcore processors are not exactly "retro"friendly. Ati and Nvidia have removed dithering support from their latest GPU's, meaning that games using 16-bit color look much worse than before.